Cliffe Symphony No.2 Recording Project

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 05 November 2014, 15:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

At the moment it's only the Symphony.

A brief update: so far £350 has been pledged. Many thanks indeed to those generous individuals. If anyone else is interested in supporting the project, please let me know as soon as possible.

christopherfifield

I would certainly consider adding to the cd Cliffe's Coronation March (1910) which starts the programme on December 6th. The orchestra is certainly enjoying playing it and it's turned out to be rather a good occasional work with a clever 'Bach' choral prelude ('Nun danket alle Gott') emerging through the orchestral textures.

I am following the thread with great interest, if tempered with a degree of concern.

While fully recognising that an amateur orchestra will never achieve the facility and sound quality of a professional one, nevertheless what they may lack in technique they more than make up for in enthusiasm. Our recording of Cliffe 1 certainly persuaded Bo Hyttner of the symphony's worth and led subsequently to my recording it with the Malmo Opera Orchestra on Sterling label.

I guarantee that no professional orchestra here (UK) would take the box office risk with Cliffe 2, while to hire a professional orchestra would cost ten times the amount I am hoping will be pledged. Here is a one-off golden opportunity.

Let's hope I have good reason to 'danket Gott'!

Christopher Fifield

Alan Howe

Good of you to post, Chris. And good news too that the Coronation March could be added to Symphony No.2 for the CD.

Aramiarz

Dear Alan and Chistopher
Thank you very much for info!!
I have some cd's by you Chris
I'm glad for this project. It interesting me!

Aramiarz

Dear Chris
One question, if one cooperate to the project, Can get too the Dunhill symphony?
Or only Cliffe's works?
Excuseme the question ::)

vicharris

Many years ago I was able to purchase from Maestro Fifield the CD of the Cliffe Symphony No. 1 coupled with the Arthur Hinton Piano Concerto, and I was not and am not put off at all by the performance of the Lambeth Orchestra. These recordings were done in 2000, so I think it is safe to say the high quality level has most likely only got higher. I, too, might cringe at some of the high school orchestras who somehow always have the one horn player who can't hit the high note quite on, but by the same token, music that I would never have heard has come to me that way. I have often seen disparagement of Geoffrey Heald-Smiths work with the City of Hull Youth Orchestra, but I not only didn't cringe but was elated to be able to hear those Brian works--I am old, so can't remember the others right now--when they were nowhere else available. Remember the word "amateur" is based on the Latin word for love, maybe loving to make music is something to be celebrated, at least in the case of the Lambeth orchestra. And I would never have heard Dora Bright's lovely piano concerto without the Morley Chamber Orchestra, which was a little squeaky (sorry, amateurs) but Samantha Ward did a wonderful job at the piano. So, squeaks, falling chairs, whatever, bring on the music when you can. Just wish I could afford the contribution. Best wishes, nonetheless.

Alan Howe

Thanks very much for the encouragement, Vic. Very helpful...

christopherfifield

Hello Aramiarz

I couldn't include the Dunhill because the hired edited orchestral material attracts a prohibitive copyright recording fee. It is on the Dutton label. Hopefully this won't discourage you from participating in the project ...

Thanks to Vic and, yes, after 14 years they are even better.

'He would say that anyway' but the Lambeth Orchestra is performing challenging repertoire to a high standard (Mahler 4, Die Walkuere (Act 1), Walton cello concerto etc etc) and I am very proud of them.

Otherwise I would not be in my 32nd year as its Music Director!

Aramiarz

Dear Christopher

No problem! I have interest in your projects, moreover in the future there are more, I will participate!   I Didn't know that Dunhill is in Dutton  ;D
Other question Chris, when You release the Richard Franck Cd in Sterling, one work You didn't include, but I don't remember what  :'(, in that time my Mail adress was blocked for one error system And never I never could recuperated it. :'( lost much contacts And information, excuse me the question!
Other question in the future what Other rescue project have You?

giles.enders

In reply to musiclover.  I wonder if you have any idea how much it costs to record a full symphony. In the UK with a professional orchestra it is unlikely to be less than £10,000.   It is also a fact that if it is to be commercially released by a 'known'label they will expect at least 60 minutes of music.  I have heard the Lambeth Orchestra many times and I can state categorically that they are superior to some of the State funded professional orchestras in Denmark of the rickety band in Malta which seems to get a few recordings.

This way we do at lease get a very worthwhile symphony which is unlikely to be recorded elsewhere anytime soon.

Aramiarz

10 000£, including 2 essays and enginer sound with recording?

musiclover

Yes, Giles, I am totally aware of how much recordings cost and my point was not to denigrate any amateur orchestra, rather to point out that the Cliffe No2 is an important work and by releasing it with an amateur orchestra you pretty certainly take away any chance of a record label recording it again, as in this important but niche market having the marketing ability to be able to say First recording is of paramount importance.

Alan Howe

I completely disagree. It would be perfectly possible to advertise a release as "first commercial recording" or suchlike. So if a work recorded privately proved attractive enough, there's absolutely no reason why a regular recording label couldn't take it on.
An obvious example, as we have already heard, is Chris Fifield's recording of Cliffe 1 on Sterling which was preceded by a private recording done with the Lambeth Orchestra!! Seems like a good precedent to me - and not being advertised as a first recording doesn't seem to have done it any harm.

Gareth Vaughan

JimL