Cliffe Symphony No.2 Recording Project

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 05 November 2014, 15:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

And we wish you better health and renewed vigour in 2018! Thanks for all you have done for various unsung composers - and the magnificent Cliffe in particular.

Mark Thomas

Welcome back Christopher and so sorry to hear that 2017 was a trial for you.

Tapiola

I'd like to buy the Cliffe's Symphony No. 2. How can I acquire it? and, how much does it cost?

Mark Thomas

MusicSybarite, I have sent you a Personal Message about this enquiry.

terry martyn

I am late to the party, but Dr Fifield has just told me that he still has a few copies available of this wonderful work, if recently-joined members would be interested  He can be contacted at cgfifield@btinternet.com

terry martyn

Wow!
Chris has sent me the Cliffe CD, and I have just played it through for the first time,without yet reading the booklet notes (as if I was sampling a tasting menu from the famous Blind restaurant on the shores of Lake Zurich)
The opening movement puts me in mind of Delius as he composed in the 1880's. Then we get,I think,to the heart of the symphony in the slow movement, which brings to mind the Wagner of Tannhauser. We follow with a scherzo of dancing Raffian fairies. Then the noble finale, with its overtones of Rietz and a climax that Reinecke could have penned.
A marvellous symphony,probably the best one to be composed by an Englishman between Sullivan and Elgar.

I have mentioned before that Chris still has a handful of CDs of this must-have work,if anyone else is tempted

Christopher

Hello - I have just discovered Cliffe, and very much like what I have heard. Obviously I thought to check on UC if there are further recordings and I came across this thread...does anyone know if there are any copies of this recording still available?

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

Returning to this after a couple of years makes one realise anew that no British symphonist (that we know of) was writing anything like this in 1892 - certainly not Stanford or Parry, much as one admires their endeavours. It is very clearly influenced by Wagner (and maybe Bruckner) - apologies for repeating myself from eight years ago! I really admire Cliffe's ambition and, indeed, achievement. And now we really do need an established label to take this on and bring it before the wider public...

Ilja

Sorry, but I have to disagree here. To me, this is a huge step down in terms of success from Cliffe's first symphony, which I really admire. Its material fails to sustain its considerable length, and if anything Cliffe's evident ambition with the piece works against him. Lots of things move but nothing really sticks. If we're talking about contemporaneous symphonies, I much prefer either of Edward German's pair over this one.

Jonathan

Last time I contacted Dr.Fifield earlier this year, he did have some copies left.  However, at about the same time, I received a massive car repair bill so didn't buy a copy.

Mark Thomas

I agree with Ilja about the relative merits of Cliffe's two symphonies. The Second lacks the spontaneity and individuality of the First and it is, as Alan writes, clearly influenced by Wagner which, though that may set it apart from contemporary British symphonies, was becoming common in continental Europe. It is certainly ambitious but arguably Cliffe over-reached himself.

Alan Howe

I wonder how it would sound played by a fully professional orchestra, as Chris Fifield had at his disposal when making his astonishing recording of No.1.

I don't really want to compare the two symphonies; no.2 is an attempt to move well beyond no.1 in reach and idiom. I'm just not sure we have the evidence (yet) to write it off by comparison. But that's just my opinion - and I do think very highly of no.1.

By the way, the public made similar comparisons between Elgar' s 1st and his 2nd, which was received much more coolly because, they thought, it failed to reach the heights of its predecessor. Now, I love Elgar 1 and know it far better than Elgar 2, but I believe the latter is the greater work.

Just saying...and I'm probably wrong!

Mark Thomas

QuoteI wonder how it would sound played by a fully professional orchestra
That, and a good quality recording,  would certainly mean that the two works could be judged on an equal footing, I agree.