News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Gernsheim works in manuscript

Started by eschiss1, Monday 24 November 2014, 03:09

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

May have mentioned this already, but after enjoying the works i've heard by Friedrich Gernsheim (1839-1916), composer from Worms/friend of Brahms/etc. I was interested to learn that there seem to be a number of works by him in manuscript that might even have fit some of those same recent interesting recordings...

e.g. a violin sonata in C-sharp minor "op.12" and a few other violin sonatas (e.g. an unnumbered one from 1857 in E minor dedicated to Julius Rietz)
some more chamber works besides...
though the information one turns up about them at the Library of Congress and University of North Carolina @ Chapel Hill library catalogs doesn't always tell you how complete they are. More information in the catalog of the main Gernsheim archive (which is at the National Library of Israel).
I haven't read Karl Holl's book on Gernsheim- it might be a natural next stop.
(Also a symphony no.0 (in E-flat), finished March 1857, 291pp of manuscript score in the main Gernsheim archive. Well! That's intriguing.)

Alan Howe

QuoteAlso a symphony no.0 (in E-flat), finished March 1857, 291pp of manuscript score in the main Gernsheim archive. Well! That's intriguing.

Well, that is intriguing. Could you supply a link, please? Thanks!

Alan Howe

The introduction to the mph score of Gernsheim's official 1st Symphonie reads (translated):

<<The present work (i.e. Symphony No.1) isn't actually Gernsheim's first symphony; an earlier work in the same genre was composed in 1857 during his stay in Paris, but to date nothing is known about it.>>
http://www.musikmph.de/musical_scores/vorworte/492.html

Gareth Vaughan

This might be the result of sloppy research on the part of Stephen Lutman who wrote those notes - or it may be that, at the time, the archive had not been thoroughly catalogued; or it may be that the MS has only recently come to light and been placed in the Gernsheim archive. As Alan says, a link would be useful.

Alan Howe

I have now emailed the National Library of Israel.

eschiss1

I'm on vacation so my response time is a bit slow. My information (except for the couple of items at Library of Congress) is from Worldcat/National Library of Israel Gernsheim Archive, yes. Interested to hear what you hear back- if they have more information about the 1857 symphony (and his other early orchestral works- two overtures, etc.) I'm really interested to hear. (Ok, yes, and in other works listed with titles like "Gesänge für Amerika (manuscript). no. 1, 2, 3." (composed 1913), etc.)

Alan Howe

Thanks, Eric. Good to hear from you.

Alan Howe

I am now in the process of finding out whether my request for a copy of the manuscript of the early Symphony can be met.

Gareth Vaughan

Good luck, Alan. This sounds very exciting.

Alan Howe

No news yet. I'll keep you informed.

Alan Howe

Looks as though it is going to cost over $200 to get a digital download of the early Symphony in E flat. I'm rather reluctant to spend this much, but perhaps there's someone out there ready to step into the breach...?