News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Ernst Tschiderer

Started by Mark Thomas, Tuesday 16 December 2014, 07:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Has anybody heard this CD from the Tiroler Landesmuseen of symphonic poems by Ernst Tschiderer and, if so, what's the music like?

Alan Howe

I've got it, but can't remember. I'll get back to you...

Mark Thomas

Thanks, Alan. I had a feeling that you might know it!

Alan Howe

Apologies, Mark. Wild goose chase and all that. Appears I haven't got it. Maybe I was tempted at some point in the past...

Wheesht

As I mentioned in the new release Rufinatscha thread, I ordered the Tschiderer CD today. I think it must be a new release as it was recorded in July this year and the disc wasn't in the museum shop in Innsbruck in September. Now I'll just have to wait until it arrives here, but meanwhile there's this YT link to an Austrian TV news clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBjfHRE4au8

Mark Thomas

Well, I have ordered it now as well, together with this CD which has Serenades by Tschiderer and Pembauer.

Alan Howe

I've ordered the Tschiderer CD too! The TLM will wonder what's hit them!

Mark Thomas

Just shows what halving their CD prices will do...

Aramiarz

I never listened about this composer. TLM is doing interesting rescues! How much does it does for each Cd?

Alan Howe

At the moment EUR 9 per CD. After the current offer is over, the price will revert to EUR 18.

Aramiarz

Thank You Alan! I sent one Message to TLM, I hope that soon they answer me!

Alan Howe

First reactions to this music: pretty conservative overall, although with some fetchingly romantic and powerful passages, not particularly individual, but very enjoyable. The earlier works reminded me somewhat of Rufinatscha's overtures - perhaps he knew them? There are also definite influences from the New German School of Liszt and Wagner.

It's good to hear the St Blasius Academy Orchestra in a larger acoustic than in their Rufinatscha 3 recording. Further thoughts as I listen on...

Mark Thomas

My copy arrived this morning...

Alan Howe

These overtures and symphonic poems virtually all feature extremely sonorous (almost Brucknerian) climaxes - very exciting to listen to in these performances. They may lack the ultimate in melodic distinction, but they are certainly atmospheric and engaging; I'm delighted to have discovered them.

For those interested, the pieces on this CD are:

1. Im Frühling (Concert Overture, 1880)
2. Des Meeres und der Liebe Wellen (Overture, 1879)
3. Werthers Leiden (Overture, 1877)
4. Concert Overture in D major (1860)
5. Medea (Symphonic Poem, 1900)
6. King Lear (Symphonic Poem, 1899)
7. Concert Overture in D minor (1867)

Alan Howe

For those who can read German, the CD liner notes are available here:
http://www.musikland-tirol.at/downloads/tschiderere_kopro_web.pdf

Apparently Tschiderer (1830-1916) studied under Czech composer Franz Xaver Skuhersky (1830-1892) in his home town of Innsbruck and, more significantly, under Felix Otto Dessoff in Vienna.