News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Beryl Rubinstein

Started by FBerwald, Saturday 27 December 2014, 16:52

Previous topic - Next topic

FBerwald

I'm not familiar with this composer except the charming Flute sonata. He apparently wrote 2 piano concertos of with the one in C is called "..One of the strongest American concertos" by Maurice Hinson in "Music for Piano and Orchestra: An Annotated Guide". Quite an interesting description. Anyone familiar with his works.... the concertos?

Alan Howe

thalbergmad

My sight reading is poor, but i cannot believe that the PC in C is in any way romantic. It starts off like a Hanon exercise and continues in the same mode for some pages.

Probably still available as an absurdly priced Kalmus reprint if anyone is interested enough to study it.

Thal

Alan Howe

We'll need more evidence as to the compatibility of this composer's music with the remit of UC, so, unless this is forthcoming, I'll be locking this thread...

Recorddude

It  looks like a performance of the Beryl Rubinstein piano concerto together with a performance recording will be forthcoming by autumn next year.

semloh

Excellent news, thanks. By "performance recording" I suppose you mean a commercially available CD? If so, I wonder what company/label.

eschiss1

I read "performance and recording" and only noticed the absence of the "and" when you pointed it out... gah, now it's happening to me. The pandas are eating, shooting and leaving in droves.

Alan Howe

I'm still unclear how discussion of this composer complies with UC's stylistic remit. In the absence of evidence it cannot continue...

eschiss1

FWIW I'll have a listen to his (1941?) flute sonata in a varied recital on Avie with soloist Jeffrey Khaner.

Based on the opening, very like, eg Poulenc's joyous sonata for flute, say.  But not within our remit.

Alan Howe

That work's also on YouTube and Eric's spot-on with regard to its idiom. So, unless the PCs prove to be different, this thread is now locked.