Jadassohn Symphonies 1-4 from cpo

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 23 January 2015, 22:52

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

I certainly will look forward what Alan and Gareth think of this fine set. I'm intrigued.
Tom

Claude Torres

The CPO 2 CDs set also includes

◦Cavatine Op. 69 für Violine & Orchester
◦Cavatine Op. 120 für Cello & Orchester

Klaudyna Schulze-Broniewska, Violin
Thomas Georgi, Cello

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

Yes. I mentioned these works earlier in the thread. They are both beautiful.

JimL

Anybody get the CD yet with the 4th Symphony?

Alan Howe

DennisS

I have just listened to the sound bites on Jpc.de - very impressive. I have just placed my order. Thankc UC for the recommendation.

Alan Howe

This'll be one of my picks of 2015, without doubt. The music is unfailingly pleasing, beautifully orchestrated and occasionally surprisingly powerful - try, for example, the slow movement of No.2. Of course, this is not music of the depth of Brahms, but frankly who cares? This is predominantly heart-easing, satisfying music by a master-composer - a relatively minor master, maybe, but a master all the same.

Howard Griffiths' approach is of the 'classical, but not clinical' variety familiar, say, from Riccardo Chailly's much-lauded recent set of Brahms symphonies. I am pretty sure that Israel Yinon would have made more of the inherent romanticism of these symphonies, but Griffiths never over-inflates them, giving them wonderful spirit and drive, while ensuring that passages that require greater intensity of expression are given their full due.

For Eric and Jim, here are details of the movements of Symphony No.4:

1. Allegro patetico
2. Scherzo: Vivo
3. Adagio affetuoso
4. Finale: Allegro decido

Alan Howe

By the way, the extremely vigorous performance of No.4 will come as quite a surprise to those who have become accustomed to the more languid reading of, say, Yinon. It's a bit like comparing Järvi in Raff to previous interpreters...

Actually, I suspect that Griffiths' one miscalculation may well be his performance of the slow movement of No.4 - hardly Adagio, as marked, I'd say. More like a swiftish Andante. But maybe I'm just plain wrong in my expectation of 19th century performance practice here.

eschiss1

Thanks! (decido looks like it should be "deciso"! :) )

Alan Howe

Quite likely - it's not the only proofreading error.

eschiss1

At least Affetuoso is a common error for what I gather is supposed to be Affettuoso, or something. Anyhow, looking forward to hearing the set myself; have been curious, I think, to hear all 4 since having a look at the score of no.2 awhile ago (and increasing acquaintance with his music since).

TerraEpon

....all these composers with names I don't recognize, and thus I kinda gloss over them. I was just listening to the upload and made a post in the other thread about it, and here we are a different thread talking about the release which was in the other thread of an unknown date.

Wierd coincidences abound...

adriano

Remember, Alan, my earlier warnings about Griffiths :-)

Alan Howe

Well, it's swings and roundabouts, Adriano. Griffiths gets almost everything right - not bad, especially when there's no performing tradition. I think we can be grateful for the set while being grateful for what we have of Yinon's performance (which could be criticised for a certain lack of sharpness and vitality in the faster music, although he gets the slow movement right).