Jadassohn Symphonies 1-4 from cpo

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 23 January 2015, 22:52

Previous topic - Next topic

adriano

As already mentioned earlier, in my own collection I have a first edition score of Jadassohn's Fourth.
I have now scanned all 150 pages and put them together into a sharp PDF file, but without polishing them and transforming them into a "print like" pure black-and-white format without grey background. Further polishing and editing requires hours and hours of work; it needed enough time already to make these clear scans and to edit them as they appear (the original paper color has become beige-brown over all these years). A color version would be better readable than a "simple click" black-and-white bulk version. And there are some blue pencil remarks by the conductor who owned the score oroginally. My scan is a 284 MB thing, so let me know if this is OK and where I can upload it.
Incidentally, I also have the original score of Jadassohn's Symphony Nr. 3...

Richard Moss

Folks,

just FYI (and apologies if this post duplicates anything earlier in this thread!)

Have just noticed that Presto Classical have a pre-release (UK) offer of the 4 Jadassohn symphonies by CPO for just under £20 (+ postage - ca. £1.50) and it's some £5 cheaper if you just want to download them without the notes.  Mine's now on order so I am looking forward to their arrival. 

When I checked, the earlier JPC release seemed somewhat pricier (but I may well have missed their own special offer - c'est la guerre!)

Cheers

Richard

JimL

Well, Adriano, if you have the 4th, perhaps you could spare Gareth a trip to the library in London and simply answer the question - is there a slow introduction to the first movement, and if so, what is the tempo?  Or is the beginning just an in-tempo introduction with extended note-values giving the impression of a slow intro?

Alan Howe

If you would be so good as to answer JimL's question, Adriano, I'm sure all of us would be eternally grateful...

eschiss1

I think we have a first-edition score of symphony 3 uploaded to IMSLP (via BSB maybe?), but I may be mistaken. That said, 2nding Alan's 21:29 response with curiosity :)

adriano

Hi there and sorry for replying with some delay.
There are 16 bars "Sostenuto" in 4/4 at the beginning of the first - and 19 bars "Sostenuto" at the beginning of the last movement. Then follow "Allegro patetico un poco agitato" in 6/4 - and "Allegro decido"  alla breve respectively. This "decido" must be a printing mistake in the score, since in Italian one says "deciso".
Of course, "Sostenuto" can be taken as slow and I suppose other conductors would make of these two introductions real introductory Adagios.
And, as I have already mentioned once, Griffith's second movement is all other than an "Adagio affettuoso", it's a boisterous march - but it works and may be less boring that in a slower tempo.
In cpo's tracklist (in both, the 1st and 4th mouvement!), the "Sostenuti" are missing - but, of course, not in the music.
Alan, do you agree with me that the harp is, unfortunately - and thoroughly - almost unheard??
As far as my offer is concerned, if there is enough interest, my scan is finished and I could upload the whole score. I've also made a reduced file version of 30MB vs. the original sharp scan of 288 MB. The quality is just a bit inferior.

TerraEpon

Why not upload it to IMSLP so the general public can enjoy it?

adriano

No, I would prefer only on UC. I do not agree with IMSLP, since they also publish scores which are still protected.

eschiss1

not scores which are protected _everywhere_, just under certain jurisdictions but not others.

sdtom

I just received my copy of the Jadassohn symphonies from cpo. There was mention made of some books he wrote. Has anyone read them? He seemed to have studied with Liszt at the same time that Raff worked for him. So far my impression of the 4th symphony (2 listens) is it is very well structured and quite listenable. It is a shame that his music disappeared so quickly after his death because he does have something to offer.
Tom :)

Mark Thomas

We are substantially the richer for now being able to hear Jadassohn's four symphonies. The Fourth is a work of real substance, red-bloodedly dramatic in places but unfailing lyrical, and with many piquant details of orchestration. Although the sensibility is clearly based in the Leipzig school, this is no dry academic exercise and, as I have got to know the piece, I've found it quite a thrilling listen. It's three predecessors show a clear progression from the charming, comparatively light, No.1 to the more weighty No.3. The slow movements in particular develop a real depth of feeling with each successive work as Jadassohn's own individual sound world develops. Although the seriousness of purpose of each symphony is deeper than the one before, each work is a hugely pleasurable listen. Although stylistically a very different composer to Raff, Jadassohn's symphonies exhibit the same sheer cleverness and dexterity in orchestration, the same strong melodic identity and the same propulsive forward momentum as Raff's. Each of the two concertante Cavatinas is, by the way, charm on a stick too. What's not to like? Thoroughly recommended.

sdtom

I plan on listening to them today. The allegro vivace in the second symphony is quite compelling. I wish that CPO could avoid some of the mistakes such as timings not adding up. Hopefully some of you will have read some of his books.

eschiss1

Some of Jadassohn's (quite a few) books have been digitized etc.; I've skimmed some of those but haven't really read them yet.

sdtom

I saw them at Barnes and Noble but you have to have a Nook device to get them. Very frustrating.
Tom :(

sdtom

I was able to have a bit of a read and discovered that they're not for me at all.