String quintets in need of (modern) recording

Started by Delicious Manager, Monday 26 January 2015, 15:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Delicious Manager

I am doing some research for a client for string quintets (either two-viola or two-cello quintets - either is fine) that are in need of a first recording or perhaps a new modern recording.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Alan Howe

saxtromba

Anton Rubinstein, Quintet in F Major, Op. 59. 
Although a considerable portion of Rubinstein's chamber music has been recorded, the music exclusively for strings is very weakly represented, and this lovely piece, never previously recorded, would be a major contribution to the recorded repertoire.

Balapoel

Let me make a pitch for Rontgen's two efforts (in light of the fact that nearly all of his chamber works are exquisite).

String Quintet in C (1877)
String Quintet in c minor (in one movement) (1877)

Here's a short list of quintets that I'd like to hear that also remaining unrecorded:

Barnekow: String Quintet in g minor, Op. 20 (1905)

Danzi: 3 String Quintets (Eb, f minor, A), Op. 66 (1824)

Dubois: String Quintet (1924)

Gouvy (only 2 have been recorded, leaving):
String Quintet in e minor (1869)   
String Quintet in G, Op. 55 (1870)   
String Quintet in b minor (1871)
String Quintet in Bb (1872)
Impromptu for Cello and Quartet (1878)
String Quintet in a minor (1880)

Lachner, Ignaz: String Quintet in C, Op. 8 (1840)

Maliszewski: String Quintet in d minor, Op. 3 (1904)

McEwen: Fantasy, str qt, vc, (1911)

Napravnik: String Quintet in D major (2 cellos), Op. 19 (1874)

Respighi: String Quintet in g minor (2 cellos), P. 33 (1901)

Ries (all 7 are unrecorded): Opp 37, 68, 167, 171, 183, WoO 62, 75 (1809-1836)

Romberg, Andreas: String Quintet in e minor, Op. 23

Martin Eastick

The Maliszewski Op3 Quintet has recently been released by Acte Prealable - AP0327. It is coupled with the String Quartet No2 in C major Op6. I can't comment yet on the work/performance as I am still trying to obtain the CD - (along with several other of their newer releases!)

minacciosa

Taneyev: Cello Quintet Op.14
Taneyev: Viola Quintet Op.16
Cherubini: Cello Quintet (1837)
Glazunov: Cello Quintet Op.39 (It's been recorded several times, but is such a great piece that it deserves more. Would be a great discmate for anything.)
Goldmark: Cello Quintet Op.9
Fuchs: Quintet Op.102 (designated as for clarinet or a 2nd viola)
Koessler: Viola Quintet
Ethyl Smyth: Cello Quintet Op.1
Svendsen: Viola Quintet Op.5
Weingartner: Viola Quintet Op.40
Winkler: Viola Quintet Op.11

eschiss1

The Weingartner quintet is on cpo 777-252. I think. Is that an archival recording, hence, in need of a "modern recording" Eric S read the subject line etc. etc.???
Erm... also, the two Taneyev quintets I think are both out in a new modern recording (I think it's modern- will double-check)- 2-CD disc together with the piano quintet; and I think both of them have been recorded before several times recently, I believe. I sort of took the subject to mean "these works haven't been recorded particularly recently"...of those listed above the Goldmark (which does have a CD recording) could use a competing recording, the Winkler hasn't I think had a "live"/actual recording at all (and is rather good), but the others are actually not half-badly served, considering (the Fuchs in its usual clarinet form, true - the Cherubini I expect will be recorded again soon, since there are two quartet completes in progress, on cpo and BIS?)

Wilhelm Berger's string quintet has only been recorded on radio tape, for instance, and sounded pretty good; some enjoyable string quintets have been recorded (so to speak recorded) only by the fine efforts of matesic/Steve's Bedroom Band- getting a real group together to play them, well, and record them would be good too-
Percy Hilder Miles' string quintet no.2
Ellerton's string quintet in F minor (Op.100)
Alfredo d'Ambrosio's Suite for Quintet (2 cellos), Op.8
Gernsheim's 2 string quintets (no.1 only is @ IMSLP in score and mp3s - no.2 (E-flat major, Op.89) (1915) exists in an edition prepared from the manuscript and published by Amadeus-Verlag (preface to their edition can be read here. Haven't heard it, but am guessing that it's at the level of his other works from that period; praise for the quintet - from its 1916 premiere- is quoted in the preface that reads intriguingly...)
(Has August Winding's string quintet been recorded? Bernhard Scholz's (IMSLP just has an arrangement, but I'd be surprised if the parts aren't somewhere, say FLP(hiladelphia) - ah, yes, they do... -... & I think Peabody Cons. Lib. has the score&parts to one of Scholz's quintets (piano or string - I forget which offhand.. Worth checking out the arrangement (an ms by the composer) to see what one thinks of the quintet itself for now.)) As one might expect, FLP has- in various sections (Main, Chamber, Fleisher) - hundreds of score/parts of string quintets from various eras... including e.g. an intriguing-looking quintet pub.1920 by Jarnach, dedicated to Busoni; one pub. in the 1830s by Mayseder; Bruch's recently discovered and recorded 2nd string quintet (E-flat); Kornauth's (pub.1925); Ries' Op.28 (IMSLP only has Op.68, I think...); others... (ah well, Eric, nothing exceeds like excess. will prune this, I will... it doesn't help to realize that yet others came to mind as I was writing this, didn't help at all...)

I'd like to hear the quintets said to have been written by Napravnik, Marteau, and some others, if material exists and can be found...