News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Percy Sherwood

Started by giles.enders, Monday 21 June 2010, 11:57

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

Yeah!  That was it!  It was on a list of Paul Dukas' complete extant works.  It was about as long as my pinkie fingernail! ;D

eschiss1

Havergal Brian (1876-1972)'s symphony no.2 in E minor (1930-31) was, according to the composer, somewhat influenced by this too :) (see this essay for a more detailed treatment, I think, than sometimes given, about any relation.)

There's also an opera by Karl Goldmark, actually and definitely after the Goethe play.

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: petershott@btinternet.com on Thursday 31 March 2011, 00:32
Paul Dukas? There's an overture to Gotz von Berlichingen.

Dukas' Goetz de Berlichingen overture is available on a Sterling CD (CDS 1074-2) coupled with his Symphony in C major and Le Roi Lear overture played by the Wurttembergische Philharmonic Reutlingen, conducted by Fabrice Bollon.  I only know this because Patrick Meadows and I prepared the score and parts for this recording from the MS.  It's an interesting piece although it doesn't sound much like Dukas to me and I'd be interested in others' opionions of it.

Simon

Any thought on Sherwood's chamber music? I'm wondering if I should order a copy of his Trio for oboe, horn and piano...

FBerwald

This may be a very late question but I was wondering reg. the Orchestral material for Piano Concerto No. 2 in E-flat Major. The list above states Autograph manuscript (reduction) in Bodleian Library, Oxford, UK, then what about the Dutton recording? Did they find the parts or original?

Gareth Vaughan

My understanding is that the autograph full score is in the Bodleian library and this was "transcribed and edited" by the pianist on the Dutton disk, Hiroake Takenouchi, who, I am sure, would be happy to answer any questions.

thalbergmad

Indeed both PC's are in the Bodleian and if you have a few hundred quid spare you can get copies. The 2nd is also available in 2 piano.

Thal