News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Alberto Nepomuceno

Started by eschiss1, Friday 25 June 2010, 14:44

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I've heard by this composer a symphony and two (of three written and recorded) string quartets, and I believe one other work also- will have to check. He has a local reputation, I gather, in his birthplace of Fortaleza - someone who grew up there tells me that he wrote operas (about which I know nothing else). Anyone else heard his music and have any opinions?
Eric

Alan Howe

I managed to track down a free download of Nepomuceno's Symphony in G minor of 1894 - and am thoroughly enjoying listening to it. It's an 'rar' file, available here:

http://rs646.rapidshare.com/files/247154657/MS_-_NEPOMUCENO_-_SINFONIA_EM_SOL_MENOR.rar

The idiom's not particularly individual, but there's certainly plenty of Latin American temperament to the music...

eschiss1

any idea the source of this download- it would be very nice to transfer it to the Downloads folder if it's not from the LP or CD of the work :) (I may be able to get the timings of one or both with some effort so actually may be able to answer that question for myself come to think. I think the local university library has the LP... )
(There was also a CD of piano music on Marco Polo, I believe, with a sonata, but I haven't heard that. Less well reviewed. Or am I thinking of someone else there...)
I agree in the assessment of the symphony I guess on both counts last I heard it, will now listen again ...
Student of Sgambati and of Herzogenberg, according to Wikipedia (after leaving Brazil for Europe for a few years.  A few piano pieces at IMSLP :) )

eschiss1

... should have checked, sorry. According to http://www.musica.ufrn.br/acervosonoro/?page_id=1847 and the timings of the files, this seems to be the same disc-I should not have moved this up. (Hrm. 3rd thoughts. actually, it's a CD version someone made of the 1959? LP, but I'm not sure if it's commercial or not- maybe it's radio-stations-exclusive. In that case ... ?? )