News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Weingartner Chamber Music

Started by jerfilm, Sunday 15 March 2015, 02:13

Previous topic - Next topic

jerfilm

I have an old cassette tape of Weingartner's Violin Sonata #2 in f# which sent me investigating whether there are any recordings of this work.  And I discovered that a Japanese violinist name of Sato has recorded both Sonatas for something called Mittenwald.  CD # MTWD990221.  Does anyone have an idea where you might get your hands on it?  Other than Japan, that is......

Jerry

eschiss1

I'd be interested in hearing more about this; I made a (simple...) MIDI of about 3 minutes of the of the first movement of the work years ago (if anyone's interested, Mediafire link to an mp3-conversion of the MIDI is now here) and found I quite liked it...

Alan Howe

Here's the CD in question (scroll down to fourth CD in listing):
http://www.hisayasato.com/english-seelisten-cd.html
I have sent the violinist, Hisaya Sato, an email, so we'll see what happens...

jerfilm

Did you ever hear anything back from Japan, Alan?  I noted that this CD is still on my want list......

Jerry

Alan Howe

jerfilm

Figured you would have said something, but I had to ask...... :)

Thanks for trying.  Will keep looking.

J

sdtom

minacciosa

I saw no score at IMSLP. Is there one available for download?

eschiss1

I don't know. I interloaned one when I was at a college library, though...
There are at least two editions- the 1907 Breitkopf edition and the 2013 Kemel (reprint or new edition, don't know). Juilliard, Harvard, E. Carolina, Ossietzky (in Germany), e.g. have the 1907, as do Bournemouth Libraries in the UK; Penn State & U Georgia Athens are among those that have the 2013 in their collections. 

BerlinExpat

At the same time as the recordings of the violin sonatas, Eiji Shigaki, the pianist accompaying Hisaya Sato, also recorded Weingartner's op. 4 - Lose Blätter - 8 kleine Stimmungsbilder für Klavier. According to Weingartner's biography the Sato recordings are the only ones of the violin sonatas.

sdtom

I just received from Naxos a new Weingartner of his 'New World Suite' which while extremely melodic doesn't qualify to be in our unsung category. The composer is but the work if you've heard it lends itself more to Broadway type pieces. His story is quite interesting as he was the first to form an all Negro orchestra in the US. He escaped from Poland to be able to continue his writing.
Tom

Mark Thomas

That's not Weingartner but Waghalter, Tom.

sdtom

sorry all but my stroke sometimes does funny things. I'm sentencing my self to type his name out 50 times.
Tom

Alan Howe

No need to apologise, Tom. We're so glad to have you here.

Mark Thomas