d'Indy vol.6 from Chandos

Started by ken, Thursday 26 March 2015, 11:17

Previous topic - Next topic

ken

For d'Indy fans:
http://www.mdt.co.uk/d-indy-vincent-orchestral-works-6-rumon-gamba-chandos-sacd.html

Vincent d'Indy (1851-1931)

Orchestral Works, Vol. 6
•Wallenstein, Op. 12
• Lied for Cello and Orchestra, Op. 19*
• Sérénade et Valse, Op. 28
• Suite dans le style ancien, Op. 24
• Prelude to Act III of Fervaal, Op. 40

Bryndís Halla Gylfadóttir (cello)*
Iceland Symphony Orchestra / Rumon Gamba

Alan Howe

eschiss1

I adore that suite (from other performances...)

sdtom

Since I have the other volumes I'm sure this will be one that I'll want to have.
Tom :)

mjmosca

In the 1970's there were recordings of the 3 Wallenstein symphonic poems and Istar, on Supraphone, with Jean Fournet conducting. Does anyone know if these have been transferred to CD. As I recall they were excellent.

sdtom

if you're interested in the lp it is available on ebay.
Tom :)

kolaboy

Love d'Indy. Being a completest (as I am) is the best guarantee against the danger of MONETARY wealth :)

eschiss1

A friend sent me a set of LPs once (by sea mail- quite reasonable way to send, from Australia) which, once it arrived, contained a most enjoyable pairing of d'Indy's suite Op.24 (as mentioned) with his very late chamber "concert" Op89 and the Karadec suite Op34 (probably the 1982 French RCA LP- I don't have it in front of me here.) (Hrm. Chandos issued a Marriner-conducted recording of Op.89 in 2013 (with Krenek- "the 20th-century Concerto Grosso")- I wonder if that means they don't intend to issue one as part of the Gamba-conducted complete d'Indy series?...)

ken

A Japanese 2 CD set was issued in 2002 and is still available.  It contains a work by D'indy conducted by Jean Fournet and is on the Alm Records Kojima label.
If you go to hmv.co.jp.  Change the language to English.  In the search box, type in D'indy Fournet,  the CD will appear.  Unfortunately, it is unclear which D'indy piece is on the CD.

Alan Howe

Interesting, thanks. But the Fournet recording on Supraphon is a much earlier release - not that I can find it anywhere!

adriano

Coming back once more with a "don't forget":
There are (were) 4 EMI CDs with works by D'Indy, which I consider excellent. The most "unsung" is the one with Poème des rivages and Dyptique méditerranéen (conducted by Georges Prêtre). The disc with the 3 Wallenstein poems (coupled with La Forèt enchantée) is conducted by Pierre Dervaux and the disc with the Symphonie Cévénole (soloist: Aldo Ciccolini, cond. Serge Baudo) has this work coupled with D'Indy's magnificient Second Symphony (conducted by Michel Plasson).
Add to the D'Indy CD repertoire 2 CDs of the German label Genuit, containing piano works by D'Indy, performed by my friend Michael Schaefer (who also recorded - accompanying his wife Ilona The-Berg, daughter of the famous pianist Erik Then-Berg) Respighi's complete works for violin and paino.
And, last but not least, don't forget D'Indy's opera L'Etranger, which has been (live) recorded on Accord.

alberto

As for Mymosca (post 8) I own (and treasure)  a Supraphon Lp of the '70s with la Mort de Wallenstein (not the complete Trilogy) and Istar conducted by the Hungarian Zoltan Fekete.It has been released as it was on Cd by Supraphon itself.
As far as I know (and own) Jean Fournet recorded in the '50s the Symphonie Cévénole for Philips with Jean Doyen.
Ciccolini recorded tje Symphonie Cévénole twice: in the '50s with Cluytens, much later with Plasson.
Dervaux for Emi recorded also Jour d'eté a la montagne, Istar and Tableaux de Voyage (all tranferred to Cd).
"Truly historical" I own a recording of La Mort de Wallenstein conducted by d'Indy himself . Awful sound on the esoteric Canadian label Rococo.

DennisS

Reading this thread made me check what works I had - 8 CDs in all. I have two fine versions of Istar - the Pierre Dervaux CD referred to above, in addition to Wallenstein and La forêt enchantée, also includes Istar. Then on the Timpani label (there a couple of D'Indy CDs on this label), there is a very good performance of Istar (coupled with Poème des rivages and Diptyque méditerranéen) with the Orchestre Philharmonique du Luxembourg and Emmanuel Krivine.

mjmosca

Thank you all! Alberto is right- my recollection of these recordings is faulty- my collection of lps were destroyed in a fire in the 1990's but I remember the Dervaux recordings on EMI, (imports as I recall) and that they had considerable echo from a very live recording venue (rather exciting, as I remember). I do hope to rebuild this part of my collection- thanks for this information.

chill319

In the U.S. in the 1970s Wallenstein could be had in a deluxe gate-fold album from EMI (2-C069-14043), coupled with Istar and performed by the Orchestre Philharmonique des Pays de la Loire under Pierre Derveaux.