Karl Weigl - Symphony No. 3

Started by britishcomposer, Friday 03 April 2015, 21:33

Previous topic - Next topic

britishcomposer

This coming Wednesday evening, 8pm, BR-Klassik will broadcast Karl Weigl's 3rd Symphony and the Adagio movement of No. 4:
http://www.br.de/radio/br-klassik/programmkalender/sendung-909066.html

sdtom

I'll have a listen as I'm not familiar with him.
Tom :)

Alan Howe

I wonder if this might mean a cpo release at some point?

eschiss1

Sdtom- we have or had a lot of Karl Ignaz Weigl's music (symphonies, quartets, viola sonata, concertos) in the "Downloads section". Might not still be there though.  Austrian composer, emigrated to the USA, dates 1881-1949.

(I presently have his rather ... Mahler-sized 1st symphony (in E, published 1908 by Universal Edition) on loan from the Free Library of Philadelphia (which has scores & parts to a whole lot of his works in their Fleisher Collection, which doesn't interloan to individuals, just to orchestras & such. I put on a fake mustache and violin strings...))

My guess would be that BIS, which already has two Weigl symphonies (5 & 6) on CDs, might be more likely to issue the recording than cpo, but who knows?...

sdtom

I'll have a check and see what is there. Thanks for the tip.
Tom :)

eschiss1

Any chance of someone taping & uploading the symphony, though I ask as shouldn't I suppose... I think I may be at work at 8pm CET... (I know, I know, it's from 1931, but his style generally speaking tends to be within our remit - I think - such things as the opening of his 5th symphony notwithstanding (a tuning-up section worthy of Ives- or Schnittke (sym.1) - iirc...)

Wheesht

As I am quite keen to hear this myself, I'll try to record and upload it. My satellite receiver has been quite unpredictable of late, so the recording may come to nothing...

sdtom

Keep us posted as I'm wanting to listen for sure. I wish you luck.
Tom

britishcomposer

The announcer said that these recordings were made in coproduction with cpo and will be released shortly. Therefore I will not upload my recordings.
No. 3 took about 48 minutes, only the third movement of No. 4 (14 min.) was recorded and broadcast due to the problematic state of the manuscript.
Both works have never been performed before.

eschiss1

if a CD is coming out, then at worst, I can buy it sometime or hear it on the radio (maybe when Radio Stephansdom is playing their "night full of 3rd (or other #) symphonies" - they do that once-a-while, with some offbeat choices- and they webstream) - etc. - so - might hear it sometime anyway; good news, thanks! (Even though, as per usual complaint, cpo takes awhile, yes, yes...)

eschiss1

According to Davison, Stephen: The Music of Karl Weigl (1881-1949): a catalog, Symphony 3's 3 movements are Allegro molto, Adagio, Allegro; Symphony No.4 in F minor's (1936) 3 movements are 2 Allegro moderatos (unfortunately unrecoverable according to these reports) followed by Finale. Adagio. All 6 of his symphonies have now been performed in some form... (except for those 2 movements of the 4th) - the first in 1910, the 2nd was at least performed in its original 5-movement version in Bochum on May 2 1924, the 5th was premiered by Stokowski  on 27 October 1968 in Carnegie Hall (American Symphony) and the 5th and 6th have been recorded by BIS.

badams@nl.rogers.com

Does anybody know if the 3rd movement of the 4th will also be included on the cpo disc?

minacciosa

The slow movement of Weigl's Symphony No.2 (his grandest symphonic work that is sometimes called Pro Defunctis) was performed in 1989 at the University of Chicago. The entire symphony is inspired by the tragedy of the first World War, and the slow movement is a dirge specifically titled "Pro Defunctis". I'll see if I can upload that performance. It is not such a good performance, perhaps due to the great difficulty of the music generally and a lack of sufficient rehearsal specifically. Tempos are off, but at least you will be able to hear the music.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

As to the finale of sym. 4, I think someone mentioned that cpo intends to include that, too.