Karl Weigl - Symphony No. 3

Started by britishcomposer, Friday 03 April 2015, 21:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

That's fine. Don't worry. It's just that mp3 files are easiest for most people. And please accept our sincere thanks for your upload - the music is wonderful.

Mark Thomas

I've just added mp3s of mjkFenrich's recording to his post in the Downloads Board.

Alan Howe

Great. Symphony No.3 is heavily indebted to Mahler to my ears, although it's more athletic and less inclined to agonised introspection. If and when it appears on cpo, it'll make a fine addition to the recorded repertoire.

eschiss1

Wonder tangentially if there's a large-scale published study of Weigl's music that puts each work in context of the others, noting related themes between works among other things. I've skimmed the work catalog that was published some years back but not the same thing...

Alan Howe

minacciosa

Weigl was as self-referential a composer as Strauss, Mahler or Korngold. Particularly in melodic shapes, there is an intervallic motive that occurs in nearly all of his mature music. It is comprised of a falling forth followed by a whole step. It can appear anywhere in a melodic statement; it famously begins the 5th Symphony.