Karl Weigl - Symphony No. 3

Started by britishcomposer, Friday 03 April 2015, 21:33

Previous topic - Next topic

minacciosa

If this repertoire was to appear on a cd, it appears to be a chimera. If anyone possesses a recording of the broadcast, would they consider uploading it for us?

mjkFendrich

Hello minacciosa,

I've recorded that broadcast and can post the two works this weekend until cpo will release them on CD some 10 years later ...

Best,
        mjk

Alan Howe

Thanks in advance on behalf of us all.

minacciosa

mjkFendrich

Hello,

I've just posted my Weigl recordings in the Downloads section, waiting to be approved by the administrators

Best,   mjkF

Alan Howe

minacciosa

FBerwald

The Cello Concerto will apparently be recorded for CPO with Raphael Wallfisch and the Berlin Konzerthaus Orchestra, conducted by Nicholas Milton.

FBerwald

What does [Symphony No. 4 - 2 Allegro Moderato's] Unrecoverable mean? I ask because the composer website http://www.karlweigl.org mentions bound full score and parts available.

eschiss1

See my post in this thread 4/23/2015 k? (Edit: 1:15 am, not later the day.)

FBerwald

Ok. I was referring to the information below.... maybe I'm reading it wrong or it's not correct info.

http://www.karlweigl.org/works.php?work=4

minacciosa

The 4th Symphony full score does exist at NYPL. I saw a version of it years ago, but it wasn't in Weigl's hand; it was a WPA copyist edition from the Fleischer Collection. I remember thinking it may have been unfinished because there was something odd about it. The question remains if the holograph at the library is truly complete. I will try to find out.

The Cello Concerto was recorded earlier this month in Germany. It will be issued along with other concertos by Gal, Reizenstein, Castelnuovo-Tedesco and Goldschmidt as a collection of works by suppressed composers.

eschiss1

Alan Howe

Btw: I note that the upload is in flac format. I wonder whether we could request that, as a general rule, uploads could be in mp3 format?

mjkFendrich

QuoteBtw: I note that the upload is in flac format. I wonder whether we could request that, as a general rule, uploads could be in mp3 format?

I could also provide the tracks as .mp3 files.

Just for myself I prefer .flac in such cases, because the original recording has been in some lossy format (maybe .aac or even .mp2,
I actually don't remember !!),  and transcoding this to a different lossy format normally isn't quite a good idea.
However, I don't want to pretend that this has been a "lossless" (i.e. CD quality) recording.

Best,  mjkF