Forgotten Password problems

Started by MartinH, Tuesday 21 April 2015, 05:46

Previous topic - Next topic

MartinH

I switched to a new computer and tried to log in, but seems I forgot my password. When I requested to reset it, the link that was sent to me just took me to the login in page with no instructions about a password reset or anything. Still couldn't login in - tried it several times. So wound up making a new login ID with an alternate email acct. Did I miss something or is the system in error somehow?

Mark Thomas

Martin, in version 1 of the board's software it used to be possible for an administrator to find out any member's password, so a quick email to me usually resolved any problems with passwords. Now, I can't see members' passwords, but I can change them. I have reset the password on your old account and have emailed you with your new password, which you'll be able to change back to the original one (if you can remember it!) just by visiting your account settings. Hope that helps.

Mark Thomas

Martin. Did you get my emails? BTW, I have checked and the "forgot your password?" link worked fine for me, allowing me to enter my user name and then emailing me my password.

C R Lim

I have a similar problem - I can still access my profile on my old computer (Windows XP!) but I can't see the "reset password" link. In addition, my email address is now invalid.

Any help appreciated.

Mark Thomas

Bob, see my reply to Martin above. I can't retrieve your old password, but I can provide you with a new one (which you can subsequently change again, so I won't then know what it is), change your email address etc. Please PM me with any changes you'd like me to make and I'll do it.

Joachim Raff

Hey everyone. I recommend everyone that has Windows to use a Password Manager eg Last Pass. Advantage of these, you can have a different password for each website you join up on. You can generate long complex passwords with special characters and do not need to remember them or write them down. Security is so important and its so easy to set up.
I would also recommend everyone to check if their email addresses have be compromised in the past. This is easy with https://haveibeenpwned.com