Ryelandt Orchestral Works (Symphonies etc.)

Started by Richard Moss, Saturday 02 May 2015, 13:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Moss

Folks,

If this duplicates previous posts or is in the wrong place, my apologies - I'm sure the moderators will delete or shift as appropriate.  I've seen a few individual posts on this, but not a thread as such.

Having heard Ryeland's 5th symphony last year (was it on e-music or YT? - can't remember), I've recently downloaded (from e-music) his fourth and I've thoroughly enjoyed them both.

I'm aware he wrote other symphonies  and also a mass but is there any other orchestral music?  Has anyone heard any of his other orchestral works (mass, symphonies 1-3 and any others if there are any) and if so what impression did they give in terms of 'romantic' appeal.

Also does anyone knows of their availability to download or purchase??  I understand his mass and other symphonies have been recorded in the past (the mass I know I can get from e-music or BIS) but the early symphonies and anything else seem a bit elusive

Cheers

Richard

jerfilm

The opus 111 Mass and the Agnus Dei can be heard on Spotify.

Jerry

sdtom

thanks for the tip Jerry. I'll have a listen
Tom

eschiss1

I think we had his 5th symphony (from the Kersters/Ryelandt LP, 1973, Cultura) up in "Downloads" when our upload policy was very mild about such things...
A recording of his first symphony was reviewed in 2000 by Musicweb. Hasn't appeared in Records International (unlike the 4th & 5th and some chamber works), alas, nor do Berkshire Record Outlet, MDT, etc. seem to carry it... maybe the manufacturer does? (The link on that Musicweb page doesn't work, though.)

Ah, there is or has been a CD with symphonies 3 and 5 - see http://www.muziekcentrum.be/carrier.php?ID=80706. (Muziekcentrum has something of a Ryelandt discography, in fact... search on the composer's name. here in that discography, is the Jubileum 2-CD set with the first symphony- no idea how to acquire it, though.)

Richard Moss

Thanks for all the leads guys - hopefully they'll will lead to some happy exploring.

Cheers

Richard

Peter1953

I have a few CD's with music from Joseph Ryelandt (1870-1965).
A French speaking religious composer from the beautiful city of Bruges (Brugge) in Flanders (Vlaanderen), whose music stands on his own. From what I have heard his orchestral music, chamber music and piano solo works are all late Romantic. Very recommended to give it a listen. Ryelandt's music will pleasantly surprise members who are not familiar with him.

From my collection:
Symphony No. 1 in B flat major, op 16 (1897)
It is on a Jubilee CD '150 jaar Stedelijk Conservatorium Brugge' (2 CD's of works by Flemish composers and it includes also a few songs by Ryelandt from opp 9, 19 and 46)
This double disc is issued by the Conservatory of Bruges in 1997. I have ordered the CD in 2012 from VZW AUBADE, Sint-Jakobsstraat 23, BE-8000 Brugge, Belgium. I remember I have sent Prof Wilfried Deroo a mail. Maybe you can google for some more information.
That having said, I think this First has both strange and some very beautiful passages, but it is worth listening once in a while.

Symphony Nos. 3 in E minor, op 47 & 5 in A major, op 108 (and the Suite for Orchestra, op 102)
The New Flemish Symphony Orchestra, Patrick Peire
Rene Gailly International Productions, CD 87 054
Without exaggeration I can say that the Third belongs to the most impressive unsung symphonies I have ever heard.

Symphony No. 4 in B minor, op 55 & Idylle Mystique for soprano and orchestra, op 30
Het Symfonieorkest van Vlaanderen, Fabrice Bollon
Cypres Records CYP 1616

Piano Quintet in A minor & Adagio for String Quartet in F Sharp minor, op 13 & String Quartet No. 2 in F minor & Andante 'Ach Tjanne' and Variations for piano sextet in G minor
Spiegel String Quartet, Jozef de Beenhouwer, piano
Phaedra 92055

Nocturnes, Preludes, Pensees Musicales (opp 62, 81, 90, 91, 93, 94, 96, 97, 126)
Bart Meuris, piano
Sabam Lanigram LAN 20071

Richard, happy hunting and many pleasant listening hours guaranteed!

Richard Moss

Peter,

Thanks for the additional info/leads to follow.  Just from his 4th and 5th symphonies , both of which I've played now quite a few times now, I too really enjoy his music (I'm an 'orchestral' fan, so can't comment on chamber, vocal etc) so I'm hoping the various leads you and others have given me will bear fruit.

Many thanks

Richard

PS That's the joy of this forum - not only coming across great 'unsungs' (composers and/or works) but the helpfulness (and depth of knowledge) of forum members for information and help.

Alan Howe

I like Ryelandt's 3rd Symphony, but frankly I want more. Just as the music gets going it seems to lose its way. It's all very attractive, sometimes more than that, but the level of inspiration isn't consistent.

scarpia

I thought about starting a Ryelandt thread a few months ago. I got his 4th Symphony years ago and liked it. Then I saw his Agnus Dei on sale in a shop and really liked that too. I wonder if Naxos might get into him.

Alan Howe

Do give us your views - either here (for his orchestral works) or start a new thread (for the choral stuff).

jerfilm

The first and third symphonies are now available on YouTube for a listen.

Tartini

Unfortunately, the first symphony is no longer on YouTube. :( I missed it.