Grieg's PC in B minor - yes, really...

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 08 May 2015, 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Sackcloths anyone? You can supply your own ashes...

Alan Howe

It's not a reconstructed masterpiece, this. Sure, it has some moments of great beauty, but you'd be hard put to recognise its origins in sketches by Grieg. However, it's as good as many of the entries in Hyperion's RPC series and it's an enjoyable listen (along the lines of, say, the Warsaw Concerto).

sdtom

I had the opportunity to listen to the b minor from Evju today and I agree with Alan it's a nice concerto along the same lines as the Warsaw. It's nothing more.

Alan Howe

But don't let me put anyone off buying it!

sdtom

nor I. Some people like these sort of piano works

Gareth Vaughan

I wish people would put more effort into orchestrating works which we know from the piano or two piano scores, and/or contemporary accounts of their performances, are worthwhile, but for which the orchestral material is missing. Works like the pianoforte concerto by Siboni or Chaminade's Les Amazones. Please excuse the digression, but I thought the point was worth making.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Or, in my honest opinion, if one's going to go with Grieg because his name sells (deservedly; not begrudging), promote terrific but relatively little-known works like his late psalms (ok, admittedly more a job for the promoter or a different kind of performer, not the pianist).  (I do think it's nice to hear those on BBC/Euroclassic Notturno overnight :).)

chill319

Quote...terrific but relatively little-known works like his late psalms

Been enamoured of those works for years. Glad to see I'm not the only one.