Started by Alan Howe, Monday 02 November 2015, 18:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Reported by Savoir_Faire:

Symphonies 2 & 4 are on their way next month:
http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.573378

Thanks, Jeremy!

Richard Moss

I think either an earlier post (or the earlier thread? - memory is not what it was, if it ever was at all!) said that his last symphony (is this the C min one?) was incomplete at his death.  Is this correct and if so, any news on who/how it was completed for  this CD??

Cheers

Richard

Syrelius

Richard, you are referring to the symphony that would have been Eggert's fifth. There are four complete symphonies.

Richard Moss

Alan,

Tks for update and clarification.  Anyway, having enjoyed syms 1 & 3,. looking forward to 2 & 4.  Not revelatory music but quite enjoyable and for just a fiver, well worth a punt!

Cheers

Richard

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

And a very nice CD it is too.

By the way: I had completely forgotten that Israeli musicologist Avishai Kallai, known to us here as Hofrat, had died back in 2012. He more than anyone else was responsible for the latest research into Eggert and the numbering of the symphonies followed on the two Naxos CDs is Avishai's. We are no doubt duly grateful to him for his work and the CDs stand as a suitable monument to his expertise.

Syrelius

Quote from: Alan Howe on Saturday 28 November 2015, 17:00
I had completely forgotten that Israeli musicologist Avishai Kallai, known to us here as Hofrat, had died back in 2012. He more than anyone else was responsible for the latest research into Eggert and the numbering of the symphonies followed on the two Naxos CDs is Avishai's. We are no doubt duly grateful to him for his work and the CDs stand as a suitable monument to his expertise.

Indeed, Alan. It's really sad that Hofrat is not here to see the result of his work.

Any reflections about the music, Alan? I have only been able to hear soundclips from the new CD. The adagio from the C minor symphony sounds like a perfect Classic FM piece.

Syrelius

Any reactions from members on this new CD?

Alan Howe

First reactions were very positive. I'll be back...

sdtom

I wasn't impressed at all on my first listen so it'll take more time for me.

sdtom

I fear that these are just not my cup of tea.

eschiss1

Ok. Having already heard one of these two (the G minor, in a different performance) I know they're probably mine, so I have this on my list; but de gustibus ist so obvious as not to need saying &c.