Jurowski Symphonic Pictures "Russian Painters"

Started by sdtom, Wednesday 20 May 2015, 14:35

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

I got this download yesterday from Naxos of a new CPO release (777 875-2) of Jurovski that recalls the music of the late 19th century. While the sound is completely different it does have the same idea that Moussorgsky did with the Bocklin paintings. My question is does anyone else have any experience with this composer? There is nothing from Wiki and the German liner notes when translated to English needed the expertise of Alan. It was horrible. The composer is unsung (I'd never heard of him) and like I said the work could fit the 19th century (parts of it). I'll try to post one of the the tracks later on my blog later. Any info would be much appreciated.
Tom :)

Alan Howe

The symphony on the CD certainly doesn't fit here, but we'll see...

eschiss1

Used to be uploaded in our "download" section (a link that should be deleted if it hasn't been already..., since it's the -exact- same performance.) Those wishing to follow the cpo of the symphony  along, btw, can read the whole symphony no.5 at Sikorski's website (in a scalable score - not downloadable, I think, but - well, go to

http://www.sikorski.de/475/en/0/a/0/orchestral_music/1033934_symphony_no_5.html - this link and click on "score for viewing" on the right.
Hope that's some'useful...

Sikorski has a lot of stuff like that on their site, btw :)

There's more useful detail (movement headers, metronome, etc.) in that score than at the jpc link, I think, anyway. I think there's also a Sikorski link for the other work on the CD...

sdtom

I was thinking more about the filler work "Russian Painters" which is completely different from the symphony. Each painting has its own melody.
Tom

britishcomposer

Eric, I did upload the premiere performance of the Symphony which took place in 2005.
The conductor, Michail Jurowski, was the same, but the orchestra was the Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra.
Anyway, I have tried to disable the download option. Don't know if it works?

Alan Howe

The upload didn't need to be disabled at all. It's not the same performance as that on the new cpo CD.

eschiss1

sdtom

Getting back to the symphonic pictures does anyone have any experience with these? That is the title of the thread and music wise fits in for us but not time wise. Could this be a world premiere?

eschiss1

according to http://www.sikorski.de/475/en/0/a/0/orchestral_music/1038806_russian_painters_sinfonic_pictures_for.html (the link I suggested one look for above ("I think there's...")), quite possibly... says world premiere was in 2011, same conductor, Nörrkoping Orchestra...

sdtom

That certainly fills in one hole. Perhaps the conductor could fill in more information.

sdtom

I was listening to the symphony tonight and if someone had told me Gliere I might have believed them, although Shostakovich would fit as well.