Victorin Joncières Symphonie Romantique

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 25 May 2015, 17:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

His opera Dimitri is a very enjoyable piece, so it would be very good news if this Symphony is to be issued by Pallazetto Bru Zane. That said, the YouTube upload is four years old, and there's no sign of a CD. The Symphony itself certainly sounds dramatic. IMSLP has the piano four hands reduction, but Joncières' manuscript has been scanned and you can see it here.

Alan Howe

I imagine it's too late for a recording from Pallazetto Bru Zane, but you never know...

jerfilm

I wonder what the point of the clip is if there is no recording of the entire piece???  Irritating.

J

ncouton

I was involved in a project of recording this symphony, but the PBZ finally never followed up. That was disappointing.

Alan Howe

Oh, I see. Disappointing indeed. What is your opinion of the Symphonie Romantique, M. Couton?

Mark Thomas

What a shame, but I too would be fascinated to know more.

MartinH

The IMSLP score is actually the full orchestral score - the title page says it's for four hands, but it's wrong.

Mark Thomas

Thanks, Martin, clearly I should have persevered!

eschiss1

Unfortunately the IMSLP page is fairly incomplete so far as description is concerned; will try to improve that...

ncouton

Don't worry, this symphony is not that fascinating...  :-X

Alan Howe

What a pity. Not to be compared with the Rabaud, then?

eschiss1

Different generation. Published in 1873/4.

Alan Howe

Not my point, Eric. Quality, not date. M.Couton recorded the Rabaud...

ncouton

Totally different. Really not the same level, in terms of inspiration, technical abilities, construction, orchestration. Really nothing to do.