Artur Kapp (1878-1952, Estonia)

Started by Christopher, Friday 05 June 2015, 15:11

Previous topic - Next topic

rmnmds

EMIC is currently on summer vacation, but until their answer...

The fragment of Sigrid Kuulmann-ERSO-Neeme Järvi performance on EMIC is labeled as the Rumessen version but actually it appears to be the Coleman arrangement as well as the orchestra is all strings. It dates from this 2013 concert celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Estonian National Opera house, and the entire performance can be heard and seen here (hope it's available outside Estonia).

The Paavo Järvi conducted CD of Artur Kapp definitely didn't happen, but the other two works I mentioned are indeed available on the Eres CD conducted by Arvo Volmer (and there also is a newer 2013 performance of one of them but the composition is well after 1918). But I find the unissued disc a bit intriguing and if somebody else cares, it would be somewhat interesting to get to the bottom of this. If anyone has the August 2002 edition of International Record Review, could they check the review I mentioned and see if it mentions any additional details about the upcoming release (label?). Or if Martin Anderson happens to read this, maybe he (you?) could add some information himself...

Christopher

I think rmnmds is right that it's another Coleman version for string orchestra, not the Rumessen version for full orchestra.  Anyway, EMIC have very kindly emailed me the full version which I have put here in the downloads section.

Sigrid Kuulmann (violin), Estonian National Symphony Orchestra, conductor Neeme Järvi.

So the hunt for a recording of the Rumessen version (Paavo Järvi?) goes on....

Alan Howe

Is this a commercial recording? In which case we can't allow it...

Christopher

They told me it's from their archive.  It's not commercially available.  It's the same recording as from the video clip of the concert recording which rmnmds posted here a few days ago.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

I notice by the way that Vardo Rumessen died a few days ago (aged 73). Did a lot for music, from what I gather.