Draeseke Violin Concerto: coupling suggestions, please!

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 02 July 2015, 10:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Does anyone know whether Hyperion uses particular libraries from which to borrow scores and parts for recordings?

eschiss1

Hard to say, I think. Some CD labels explicitly thank/acknowledge their sources here; whereas Hyperion on e.g. the PDF notes for their CD of Litolff's concerti symphonique(s) nos.2&4 only notes that the parts for no.2 were very difficult to locate, but not where they were.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteDoes anyone know whether Hyperion uses particular libraries from which to borrow scores and parts for recordings?

To put it bluntly, Alan, they get them from whichever source is cheapest. In most cases this is Fleisher, when the collection has the work sought; otherwise, they use a variety of sources, including private collectors. They also have a few people whom they regularly employ to produce sets of parts, either from MSS or printed Partituren, when no set of parts exists (or can be found). The story of the Litolff 2nd Concerto Symphonique is a wonderful example of the inefficiency, lack of interest and "dog in the manger" attitude of a certain music publisher (I will tell you all about it sometime). Suffice it to say that Hyperion might have saved themselves a lot of trouble and expense had they known that the Newberry Library in Chicago has a set of parts for this work. When I read in The Gramophone of the problems Hyperion had had with the publisher, I pointed this out to Mike Spring. Thereafter, he would sometimes ask me to help him find a particular work for which he needed performance material, and I was, of course, very happy to be of assistance. The Benedict C minor PC was a case in point: Mike had a set of orchestral parts, but no solo piano part. I was able to direct him to Cambridge University Library which had the solo piano part but nothing else.

Eric, I think you will find that when Hyperion have used Fleisher they have acknowledged the collection's loan in the CD booklet as Fleisher always asks that this be done, and it is, in any case, a proper and customary courtesy.

Alan Howe

Very helpful, Gareth. Thank you. So, where might one best source copies of the score and parts of Reinhold Becker's VC1, Op.4?

Wheesht

The Zentralbibliothek in Zurich has the piano reduction in their catalogue.

Gareth Vaughan

Alan, unsurprisingly, Fleisher has MS score and parts.

Alan Howe

Thank you, Gareth. Is this the correct link?>>
https://know.freelibrary.org/Record/145553
What does one do next? Do they copy or loan out?
And to whom should one write at Hyperion now that Mike Spring has left?

Gareth Vaughan

I don't think Fleisher lend MS scores and parts to individuals, but talk to either Kile Smith or Stuart Serio. They might be able to offer an alternative like sending scans. They are both usually very helpful.
I would be inclined to write directly to Simon Perry, the Director at Hyperion.

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

By the way: is it best to write a letter to Mr Perry or send an email (which would contain a number of clickable links)?

eschiss1

Now if it had been not in the Fleisher Collection but in their (FLP's) "Music Department" (in the catalog entry; "Chamber Music" doesn't count as "Music Department"), they actually do interloan cross-library to individuals at other libraries (other things being equal), not just institutions (e.g. orchestras, etc.) requesting (though not always- their full score of Wetz's symphony no.2 is a "Music Department" item but they wouldn't loan it to me. Maybe too fragile! Always up to the library- one doesn't begrudge them that decision...)

Anyhow, have received some neat and interesting things from the main section of FLP.
(I hope Albany continues their series of works from the Fleisher collection. Clicking on "Violin and Orchestra- Scores and Parts" reveals works in their collection by Vreuls, Vierling, Urspruch (!), etc. ...)

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteBy the way: is it best to write a letter to Mr Perry or send an email (which would contain a number of clickable links)?
I really don't know. I would be inclined to do both - email with clickable links, but say in it that you will also be sending him a letter.

Alan Howe

Thanks again, Gareth. No reply from Fleisher yet...

Alan Howe

I'm delighted to report that Stuart Serio at the Fleisher has furnished me with all the details I needed. Now to send my proposal off to Hyperion...

Gareth Vaughan