News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Another search site

Started by eschiss1, Friday 17 July 2015, 17:58

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

We have one for the Vienna Philharmonic; here is one for the Vienna Symphony (only from 1900 to the present, but found it when looking up Brüll's Ouverture pathétique, which they may have premiered in 1906, the year it was published... so- worth adding to one's list too, perhaps...)

saxtromba

Many thanks for this; I've already discovered that Rubinstein's fifth concerto was still being performed as late as 1949 (!).  Oddly enough, they seem to have done very few of his symphonic works, but many performances of PCs 1, 4, and 5.

MartinH

Thank you very much! Absolutely fascinating how much they used to play Franz Schmidt's works.  But poor Kalinnikov only shows up for the 1st symphony at one pair of concerts 90 years ago. Korngold gets better treatment than from the Philharmonic. Will likely spend hours going through this.

Rob H

I wish that there were still concerts like the evening of 30th March, 1905. No soloists listed but after "Gothenzug" by Robert Schwalm (?) the lucky audience heard 5 Piano Concertos: Beethoven's 3rd, Hiller's 2nd, Henselt's F minor, Sauer's 1st and Rubinstein's 4th! Now that's my kind of evening.

FBerwald

Quotethe lucky audience heard 5 Piano Concertos: Beethoven's 3rd, Hiller's 2nd, Henselt's F minor, Sauer's 1st and Rubinstein's 4th!....

Is that true? WOW ... what a magical evening it must have been!

Alan Howe

I hope there was an interval - or two!

eschiss1

The description doesn't seem to list an interval, and some of them do when there was one, but maybe not consistently so.

It's become interesting to me too to look for people like e.g. Richard Stöhr. They list a symphony in F minor performed in 1926. The "official" list from his estate lists no such beastie. Might be a typo for his A minor first symphony (not his 2nd-wrong key and from 1942!), might be a lost work, I wonder... (or maybe no.5 is based on an earlier work in F minor? Dunno. No.6 is said to be in B major, which has my head scratching- could the compiler of the worklist @ IMSLP be mistranslating B-dur - as too often?... anyway. Intriguing, to me... I wonder if any other info is available or if it's just a one-off and easily explained as a typo after all.

Miaskovski is listed twice in their composer list- one spelling (Nikolaus Mjaskowsky) for 1927-1949 (syms. 6, 7, 5, 24, Serenade, Concertante lirico from Op.32)  concerts, another (the current German transliteration) for 2004-on concerts. I guess that will happen too...

(Surprising to find out from this link, too, that Hermann Grädener's op.41 violin concerto was performed, maybe premiered, 9 years before it was published...)

MartinH

It makes you curious does it not of who Robert Schwalm was and what Gothenzug sounds like that it would be included in the company of those other works.

eschiss1

We have a serenade of his, I think, in the uploads section.  IMSLP links to a brief biography of him from Baker, or something?... German, 1845-1912.

Wheesht

Quote(Surprising to find out from this link, too, that Hermann Grädener's op.41 violin concerto was performed, maybe premiered, 9 years before it was published...)
Grädener's Vc concerto no. 2 was given its premiere at the Vienna Konzerthaus on 30 Oct 1913 (I mentioned their archive in another thread recently).

eschiss1

His op.47, you mean? Thanks. That's the same day that the Vienna Symphony archives first list performing a cello concerto (number unidentified, so wasn't positive if it was his 1st Op.45 belatedly being performed, or his 2nd being premiered).

Gareth Vaughan

According to World Cat there is a score of Schwalm's Gothenzug in the Cleveland Public Library: Gothenzug, [Op. 40], dichtung aus Felix Dahn's "Ein kampf um Rom"; fur mannerchor (unisono) mit begleitung von 2 hornern, 3 posaunen, tuba, und pauken.

MartinH

And yet the information on the concert doesn't mention a choir at all. Curious.

eschiss1

Not the only time their listings (or the Vienna Philh. archives) don't seem to wholly match what we know about pieces. (In some of these cases, that may be a matter of how and when they were compiled; a confusing reference in the Philharmonic Archives to Robert Fuchs' student G minor symphony as parenthetically possibly his G minor small-orchestra serenade looks like a later addition by - someone. (Intriguing if the two works were to be related- I gather there's a small score of the early work in the ONB, so it should be possible to check- but I'm guessing in this case, as in some others, it's just a confused person trying to match an unknown work to a worklist, or somesuch...) 

As to the performance of Gothenzug, perhaps a review of the concert in a contemporary journal (might be interesting to look up just for the piano concertos performed) might mention the name of the unison chorus, or perhaps the work might even have been performed without? When in doubt seek other sources, &c &c &c, or -- something.