News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Bruch VC2 etc.

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 29 August 2015, 17:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

...now out on BIS, featuring as soloist Ulf Wallin:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruch-Concerto-Deutsches-Symphonie-Orchester-BIS2069/dp/B010GVODFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440865688&sr=8-1&keywords=bruch+wallin
VC2 is given a performance of a splendour and sweep I have never before encountered. It is simply magnificent. The Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin are wonderfully conducted by Okko Kamu and the whole thing is recorded with startling amplitude.
This'll be one of my recordings of 2015.

raffite33

Got my copy yesterday.  It is splendid, indeed, as was BIS' Gluzman/Litton SACD of the first concerto.  Here's hoping they'll get around to the 3rd, as well.  There's not a lot of competition for the "reference recording" spot.

Alan Howe

You're right! Glad you liked the new CD. The Gluzman/Litton recording was wonderful too, I agree.

minacciosa

This my favorite Bruch concerto, one I've played a lot. In fact, I've never performed the first one; whenever I was asked I always suggested No.2, and if that wasn't acceptable we'd pick something else. Just never No.1; it doesn't need my (or anyone's) help.

Alan Howe

JimL

How about plumping for No. 3.  Anybody?

Alan Howe

That's good too, of course.

minacciosa

No.3 is terrific as well! It's also the most technically difficult of the three concertos; that and its length conspires to discourage most from giving it a go. Unfortunate; it's prime Bruch.

Alan Howe