Hans Huber Piano Concerto No 4

Started by Revilod, Friday 25 September 2015, 22:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Revilod

It looks as though the MS of Huber's Piano Concerto No 4, said to be in very poor condition, has been restored and the concerto can now be performed. Has anyone else spotted this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VRKScOm31Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NMiiLKPwiE

Alan Howe

Interesting. You'll note that I have added the YouTube link for part 2 of the performance.

Revilod

Thanks, Alan. Having now listened to the concerto it strikes me as a very worthwhile work although the sound on the video could be better so it's not easy to judge. It will need a few more hearings.

I wonder if Hyperion would be interested . Mr Altwegg trained in the U.K. and has, I see, made a  disc of Huber Violin Sonatas and a concerto record for Guild.

Instead of making a list of concertos and then trying to persuade pianists to learn them, why not, at least sometimes, find pianists who already play rare concertos, check that they are worthwhile and then record them?

Gareth Vaughan

Certainly any pianist who has learned a rare concerto for a performance will usually want to commit that to record if possible. However, it is not always easy to persuade the record companies, as any pianist who has tried will find.

FBerwald

If a similar effort can be made with the 2nd Piano Concerto then maybe these two can be pared off on a wonderful release.... A far better pursuit than the Enrique Granados [so-called] completion on the RPC Vol. 65 - Which is my least favorite release of the entire series! sorry

ReDoLe

Some years ago, I had the opportunity to ask Bo Hyttner about a possible Sterling Disc of Huber PC 2+4 but at that time the Parts for No. 2 couldn't be located. Now they are part of the Fleisher Collection, together with a score in reduction. Only a full score seems to be missing...

https://know.freelibrary.org/Record/1687418

Gareth Vaughan

I agree that a coupling of Huber's PCs 2 & 4 would be admirable, given that the performance materials for both now appear to be available (it would not be a massive task to create a full score for No. 2 from the parts at Fleisher). I think Hyperion ought to be sounded out here.

Alan Howe

adriano

I have written to Bo about this, he tells me right now that he has been in contact with the pianist for a possible recording later on.

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

Any more news of possible recordings of Huber's PCs 2 & 4? I was listening again to the YouTube recording of No. 4 and enjoying it greatly. If Bo isn't going to do anything I will urge it on Hyperion.

Richard Moss

Have listened (yet) again to the Huber PC4 (on YT) - as enjoyable as ever.  Any updates anyone on a possible CD?  In the meantime does anyone have any information on the movements/tempi?

Thanks (in anticipation!)

Richard

semloh

Richard, a comment on the YT page says:

The movement titles are:
1. Allegro vivacissimo
2. Scherzo - fantastique
3. Intermezzo (very brief; just one page in the score for quatre-mains)

No doubt one of our members will give an authoritative ruling!

Gareth Vaughan

And:
     4. Finale - Allegro moderato
The You Tube performance is in two parts.

Richard Moss

Thanks Semloh & Gareth for the updates. 

If I remember correctly, when this was first posted to YT, (the final) part 2 had gone missing within the broadcaster but now seems to have been restored.  Listening to the two posts combined, I only detected 3 sections (i.e. where there was a break for applause etc).  Do you happen to know to which part is the  brief 'intermezzo' attached - i.e. the end of the 2nd main part or the start of the last?

No news, I presume, on a proper CD any time soon?

Best wishes

Richard