Walter Rabl Chamber music

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 22 October 2015, 16:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Santo Neuenwelt

Did he write a clarinet quintet? His Op.1 listed on the disc is a quartet for clarinet, violin, cello and piano which was awarded a prize...

Herr Triendl sent us the recording a few years back so we could make soundbites of all of these works which you can hear on our website www.editionsilvertrust.com

Should those members who also can play the above instruments be interested, they can purchase parts to all of these works from Edition Silvertrust

Alan Howe

Apologies. In my haste to post, I misread the blurb at jpc. Duly amended.

eschiss1

Local library here has a Cedille CD of Rabl's Opus 1, together with a quintet by Josef Labor (the very Labor quintet, I believe, from which Franz Schmidt took the theme for the variations that conclude his A major clarinet quintet - Schmidt is nowhere mentioned in the Cedille notes, however, not once, nowhere, at all... well, resurrect one composer, forget another, it's a physical conservation law)

Anyhow, as to Rabl, I recall enjoying the quartet, I think. Also that there's a large reprint? or edited/new? score edition of all(?) his chamber works (not so new, it came out some years back, 1996) - "Complete instrumental chamber works", A-R Editions, ed. by John F. and Virginia F. Strauss, "Recent researches in the music of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, 24", edited from the 1897 and 1899 first editions (Opp. 1 and 2 of 1897, Op.6 of 1899, all pub. by Simrock)- Op.1 is the clarinet quartet, op.2 is fantasiestücke for piano, violin, and violoncello, Op.6 is a violin sonata. Op. nos. go at least as far up as 12 ("Neue Liebe : Für vierstimmigen Männerchor & Tenorsolo mit Begl. des Pianoforte", published by Rahter of Leipzig in 1902) if not further...
He also seems to have helped edit Heinrich Isaac's "Choralis Constantinus" in 1909 for Artaria along with some fellow named Anton v. Webern...

There's also a recent dissertation on his lieder (several sets of which he published, e.g. Op.5, republished in 2011/13...
and there's a symphony by him in D minor, Op.8, whose performance history I do not know- published by Simrock in 1899, digitized by Sibley Rochester - (mirrored by IMSLP, again - full score here, 155 pages.)

Alan Howe

The Violin Sonata (in this recording) was broadcast by BBC Radio 3 this morning - unsuprisingly, I couldn't identify it at all. The sleevenote mentions Brahms as an influence, of course, but the work it reminded me of, at least in the opening movement, was Strauss' youthful Violin Sonata. Bottom line: it's an incredibly beautiful, large-scale work, requiring a top-flight soloist. If you haven't picked up the CD, here it is at jpc for a reduced price:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/walter-rabl-kammermusik/hnum/3126662