Coleridge-Taylor Violin Concerto

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 25 November 2015, 17:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I've been giving some attention to three recordings of this lovely piece over the past few days, i.e. those featuring Anthony Marwood (Hyperion), Lorraine McAslan (Lyrita) and Tasmin Little (Chandos - just released). Without going to great detail, I find I like McAslan on Lyrita best of all, although all three are fine performances. Interestingly, her performance is about a minute longer overall than the other two and it seems to me that there is an extra richness and power to both the orchestral playing and the solo performance, pushing the piece closer to Elgar than, say, Dvorak. That said, Little (with Andrew Davis) is marvellously expansive in the slow movement; Marwood I find too 'chaste', fine though his playing is. But McAslan is simply the most passionate - she is surely a most underrated player.

I'd be interested to hear what others think - especially if you have more than one of the recordings and can make a comparison...

Alan Howe

...and, of course, I'd forgotten Philippe Graffin on Avie. His is the sort of performance that grabs the listener through sheer force of personality. It's certainly the most obviously virtuosic account of the concerto. The orchestral support from the Johannesburg Philharmonic under Michael Hankinson is also pretty good - powerful in the same way that Graffin's playing is.

So I'd now say that McAslan and Graffin in their different ways are joint winners here. I do prefer the LPO's playing, particularly the strings, on the McAslan recording (or maybe they're just better recorded?)

TerraEpon

I really like the Avie recording, and though the coupling is 'just' the Dvorak, it's a very sensible coupling and a very good recording of it.

Amphissa

And have you heard the recording by Rachel Barton (now Barton-Pine)? Recorded with a chamber orchestra, so a less heavy feel.

Alan Howe

As far as I know she's never recorded the VC - only the Romance in G major. Or have I missed something?

Amphissa

semloh

Unfortunately I only have the Hyperion version, but your comments perhaps lend support to my suspicion that Marwood's performance is rather restrained. I'm no violin expert but it seems to me that his instrument does him no favours, tending to sound a bit weak in the higher registers; or, is it perhaps the recording - the balance between soloist and orchestra? In any case, still a fine concerto, and an enjoyable disc. I wonder what members think about the Somervell coupling: I'll check to see if that has its own thread.

Alan Howe

Marwood is still very fine, albeit in a more restrained way. The CD is a must-buy for the Somervell VC, though - another lovely piece. No need to feel you're missing out - remember: I'm a sucker for VCs and too often buy alternative recordings just to make comparisons.

semloh

Yes, I see that Marwood gets consistently outstanding reviews for this disc, and the Somervell is generally rated the better work.

Christopher

I've just noticed that this VC is being played this Thursday (7 Nov) by the Chineke! Orchestra - https://www.chineke.org/events/qeh-coleridge-taylor-brahms in London in the Queen Elizabeth Hall, Southbank Centre.

Weber: Overture, Oberon
Coleridge-Taylor: Violin Concerto in G minor, Op.80
Brahms: Symphony No.2

Chineke! Orchestra
Kevin John Edusei conductor
Elena Urioste violin

Jimfin

Wonderful to see this work being discussed and I'm afraid I was unaware of the McAslan and Little recordings: they are both soloists i admire, so I'm rather tempted to get both.

By coincidence, I was discussing this work in class here in Japan this week. I'm teaching a class on British Performing Arts and this week was orchestral music. Students had to listen to a work of their choice from a list and this was one (some enjoyed it, others found it dull, but I was rather pleased that any 18-20 year olds here are able to respond to orchestral music.

Other works I gave them were: Smyth's double concerto, Brian's 13th symphony, VW's 4th symphony and Stanford's Irish Symphony.

Kevin

Whew I must say that VW's 4th symphony is a toughie isn't it? even for myself a big fan of VW( I swoon every time I hear the Pilgrims Progress) I find his 4th a tough listen I must be honest.

Alan Howe

VW4 is a great work. But back to C-T's VC, please.