News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Violin Concerto Wishlist!

Started by FBerwald, Saturday 30 May 2009, 15:46

Previous topic - Next topic

FBerwald

In the past discussions there seems to have been mentions of Violin concertos by Romantic masters (forgotten or not!). I thought we could compile a list and hopefully someone (Hyperion eg.) might take it into consideration!

1st off the Reynaldo Hahn - Violin concerto
Bortkiewicz - Violin Concerto in D major op. 22  (and also the cello concerto)
Lyapunov - Violin Concerto in D Minor, Op. 61
Ignaz Brüll - Violin Concerto in A minor Op. 41
Friedrich Gernsheim - Violin Concerto no. 1 in D major, op. 42
                             Violin Concerto no. 2 in F, op. 86
Carl Reinecke - Violin concerto in G minor, opus 141
Julius Conus - Violin Concerto in E minor
Christian Sinding - Violin Concerto No.1 in A Major, Op.45
                         Violin Concerto No.2 in D Major, Op.60
                         Violin Concerto No.3 in A minor, Op.119
Haydn Wood - Violin Concerto in B minor (1933)
Joseph Holbrooke - Grasshopper Violin Concerto
Jean-Baptiste Accolay - Violin concertos(no.'s ?)
Karl Goldmark - Violin Concerto no. 2
Emil Młynarski - two Violin Concerti

Let the List Begin!!!!!!

Alan Howe

The Lyapounov was recorded in the 78rpm era and certainly needs a modern recording, but the Reinecke VC, Conus VC, Sinding VC1 and Mlynarski VC2  have all received perfectly good recordings in recent years, so efforts should surely be focussed elsewhere on the list.

Goldmark's VC2 has often come up on the previous incarnation of the forum, but nobody seems to know of its whereabouts.

To the list I would add:

Dubois VC in D minor
Thieriot VC1 in A major
Scharwenka P. VC in G major
Hiller VC in A major
Becker R. VC1 in A Minor
              VC2 in E minor
Cliffe VC in D minor
Moór VC2 in G major
        VC3 in E major
Stojowski in G major 
Litolff VC in E minor 'Eroica'
Marteau VC in C major
Huber VC1 in G minor
Sinigaglia VC in A major
d'Erlanger VC in D minor

Some reminders: cpo will be bringing out the VCs by Klughardt, Herzogenberg and Weingartner.

JimL

I was aware of the Reinecke (cpo) and Sinding (Naxos) CDs, and I think it was Kennedy who did the Mlynarski 2 (I forget the label).  But the only recording of the Conus I can recall is the old LP by Heifetz (RCA).  Is there a more recent CD recording, or is the Conus a re-release of the old Heifetz?

Alan Howe

The Conus has been recorded by David Garrett on DG - an excellent modern performance. The Mlynarski (VC2) was also recorded in 1990 by Konstanty Kulka on the Polskie Nagrania label.

JimL

Did not Kennedy also do Mlynarski 2 a bit more recently?  And why doesn't Mlynarski 1 get attention?  For example, I've always had a soft spot for Wieniawski VC 1, despite the fact that Wieniawski 2 was the "repertory" piece.

Also, someone might want to check with Phil Gorse over at the Ignaz Brull Project to see if there is any kind of performance activity or recording projects in the works for the Brull VC.  I know that Cameo Classics has recorded the second movement, but I'd be much more interested in the entire work, especially the 'Aeolian mode' finale.

Finally, I think Jon Frohnen (who we should get in touch with about the new Forum) did mention at the old venue that the 5 violin concertos of Antonio Bazzini were being considered by Naxos.

Alan Howe

As I've said before, my hope is that Naxos will turn their attention to the many unrecorded VCs which have rather more substance than those churned out by the 19thC violinist-composers.

The Mlynarski VC2 was indeed recorded by Kennedy - but Kulka is just as good.

I think we can expect Cameo Classics to be planning to record the whole of the Brüll VC in the near future. A coupling in the form of a VC by another Germano-Jewish composer would seem to be appropriate...

Gareth Vaughan

I have still to proof-read and complete Phil Gorse's performing edition of the Brull VC. Sorry.

Hovite

Quote from: JimL on Saturday 30 May 2009, 18:42
I was aware of the Reinecke (cpo) and Sinding (Naxos) CDs, and I think it was Kennedy who did the Mlynarski 2 (I forget the label).  But the only recording of the Conus I can recall is the old LP by Heifetz (RCA).  Is there a more recent CD recording, or is the Conus a re-release of the old Heifetz?

The Conus can be found on CHAN 9622, but the composer's name is given as Yuly Konyus. The violinist on that disc is Csüry. The Heifetz recording has also been released on CD, as part of a 65 disc set, called The Heifetz Collection. It is located in volume 20.

But it is a fine work, and I would not object to Hyperion recording it again!

Alan Howe

I knew Chandos had also done the Conus - but couldn't locate it. Now I remember the problem with the transliteration of the composer's name!

As for the Brüll VC, I didn't mean to give you the hurry-up, Gareth - I was just reporting what I had understood of Cameo's plans. Apologies.

JimL

Yes Gareth, your work has been commendable.  Keep it up! :)

violinconcerto

Here is my wish list for violin concertos t be recorded:

Natanael Berg: Violin concerto
Hjalmar Borgström: Violin concerto
Karl Heinrich David: Violin concertos
Frederic d'Erlanger: Violin concerto
Friedrich Gernsheim: Violin concertos
Gustaf Heintze: Violin concertos
Joseph Holbrooke: Violin concerto
Joseph Jongen: Violin concerto
Paul Juon: Violin concerto 1
Rudolf Karel: Symphony for violin and orchestra
Elisabeth Kuyper: Violin concerto
Joseph Lauber: Violin concerto

just to name a few...

Information about recordings are warmly welcomed!  ;)

Best,
Tobias
www.violinconcerto.de

peter_conole

Hi all

I like just about all the 'wishlist' ideas - and thanks for reference to Becker, Hiller and Jongen in particular. Would also suggest Heinrich Urban's 1870s concerto - have heard it played through on v and p. It deserves recorded treatment.

Others I am curious about are those by the US-adopted German composer, Leopold Damrosch. His concertos receive solid praise from Toskey and Swalin.

regards
Peter

Pengelli

I listened to the Stanley Bate ,only the other day. Wonderful piece.Who knows what unsung delights are out there.

violinconcerto

Is there a commercial recording of any of the Bale violin concertos resp. where did you get your recording?

Best,
Tobias
www.violinconcerto.de

JimL

Dear me!  Looks like we've forgotten poor Ferdinand David again!  I believe there are 5 concertos, the last of which (D Minor?) was considered a masterpiece in the day.  I'd be particularly interested in hearing if Mendelssohn cribbed any ideas from his friend for his own VC.