News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Violin Concerto Wishlist!

Started by FBerwald, Saturday 30 May 2009, 15:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Eastick

As a latecomer to this particular topic, I would nevertheless like to raise awareness of the Violin Concerto in A Op15 & Rhapsody for violin and orchestra Op9 by Ignatz Waghalter. I met with the composer's grandson in London earlier this year and he very kindly provided me with copies of the full scores of both works - on paper at any rate they look most enticing (both written before WWI) and a suggested recording project would be a coupling with the Philipp Scharwenka Op95 (Waghalter studied with PS for a very short time!). Anyway perhaps I could add the above to the wishlist...............

Alan Howe

Hello Martin - and welcome to the Forum!

I'd never heard of Waghalter at all, although I see there's a website...

http://www.waghalter.com/index.html

The project sounds fascinating: have you mentioned it to any record labels yet? And what's the music like?

Martin Eastick

Further to my earlier note re Ignatz Waghalter I would firstly strongly recommend the CD which includes a String Quartet and Violin Sonata plus several shorter pieces (available through the Waghalter website). His music is perhaps as one might expect - i.e. late 19th century German romantic - Waghalter was renowned for his lyricism in his music and this is certainly evident in his chamber works. The Violin Concerto and Rhapsody seem to follow in this vein (as far as I can ascertain from the full scores - my score reading ability is somewhat rudimentary!) and therefore surely would be most suitable for a recording project as mentioned in my previous post! At present the scores are with Mike Spring at Hyperion but would be some time before they could be fitted in to their recording schedules assuming they wished to proceed. I have also mentioned this to Martin Anderson although this would not be top of his agenda at present!

JimL

Maybe we could get the score of the P. Scharwenka VC into his hands as well, along with a note on why they would make such a good pairing.

Pengelli

To Tobias. Yes indeed,there is! It is available on the Dutton Vocalian label.
You can also order it direct from their website. It is a tremendous piece.

violinconcerto

Hello Pengelli,

thanks for the hint!
But in fact the piece on the Dutton release is the *viola* concerto by Bate! So the violin concertos by him remain unrecorded?

Best,
Tobias

peter_conole

Hi all

Just a thank you nod to Jiml for placing Ferdinand David firmly in the limelight again. He was a very big name in his time, influential and respected by all as a virtuoso, teacher and composer. If I could slap the money down to pay for an orchestra and soloist, we would have all of his concertos on some label by Xmas.

Mind you, I think they will mostly be superbly constructed virtuoso showpieces rather than the type of concertos put together by composers of the stature of Brhams, Raff, Reinecke, Bruch, Tchaikovsky etc. Not that early romantic bravura 'violinist composer' works are a problem  for me - the more in recorded form, the better. 

regards
Peter

JimL

I suspect that his earlier works may be more of the "virtuoso-composer" type, but I'd be willing to bet that his later works are more ambitious attempts to create a more symphonic concerto.  I'd match your offer, Peter, to see if I'm right.

Pengelli

To Tobias
How embarassing. I think I've been drinking too much real ale. Yes of course,it is the Viola Concerto!! Chandos,however,are apparently very interested in Bate!

Pengelli

Chandos told me in a response to a query,that they intend to record Stanley
Bate's symphonies. I hope so.I was very impressed by his 3rd.

FBerwald

What about the lovely Violin concerto by Gorge Dayson(?) recorded on Chandos!

Hofrat

We are forgetting Franz Clement.  He composed several VC's one of which was an inspiration for Beethoven's VC.

Gareth Vaughan

Quote from: JimL on Thursday 01 October 2009, 23:08
Maybe we could get the score of the P. Scharwenka VC into his hands as well, along with a note on why they would make such a good pairing.
I would be very surprised, Jim, if Mike Spring did not already have a copy of this work.

violinconcerto

Quote from: FBerwald on Saturday 24 October 2009, 09:09
What about the lovely Violin concerto by Gorge Dayson(?) recorded on Chandos!

You mean George Dyson? Lovely concerto!

Best,
Tobias
www.violinconcerto.de

tcutler

I was looking at the score of Gernsheim's Violin Concerto no. 1 on IMSLP and thought it sounded very promising. Anyone know if there are plans to record this concerto?
thanks!