BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Violin Concerto Wishlist!

Started by FBerwald, Saturday 30 May 2009, 15:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I know of no plans, unfortunately.

Richard Moss

Apologies if, as a latecomer to this thread, I'm repeating any earlier details.  The following link, sent to me by the society, leads to some possibly interesting pieces I haven't heard of elsewhere. 

Do any of these (e.g. the Huss or Henry Rowe Shelley) make the list??

http://maudpowell.org/home/SearchResults/tabid/83/Default.aspx

eschiss1

Quote from: Richard Moss on Tuesday 13 July 2010, 22:09
Apologies if, as a latecomer to this thread, I'm repeating any earlier details.  The following link, sent to me by the society, leads to some possibly interesting pieces I haven't heard of elsewhere. 

Do any of these (e.g. the Huss or Henry Rowe Shelley) make the list??

http://maudpowell.org/home/SearchResults/tabid/83/Default.aspx
I wonder if "Henry Rowe Shelley" is a misprint for "Harry Rowe Shelley"?

swanekj

Right now I'm listening to the Violin Concerto by Alexi Matchavariani, with the first two movements successfully downloaded for free from the composer's son's website: 
http://www.matchavariani.ge/alexi/rec.html

It's really QUITE amazing, like Rachmaninoff and Korngold in the same soul.

JimL

Can anyone tell me if Stanford's 2nd VC exists in full score, or just in violin/piano reduction?

Alan Howe

Let's not let this thread become an exchange about VCs we happen to have heard. The topic is: Violin Concerto Wishlist!

eschiss1

It's only probably Romantic- I've yet to see or hear it - but I'd love a recording of Evgeni Golubev's violin concerto (op. 56, 1970?, pub. 1973). Judging from syms. 5&7 (I don't know the somewhat more contemporary sym. 6, and the more astringent and even more contemporary-to-the-concerto quartets 8&9 may not be good comparisons since his chamber music and orchestral music seemed to run in different streams as far as I know- with some relations? I don't actually know though...) there is a good strong vein of Myaskovskian Russian Romanticism from his teacher and much talent. (One piano concerto is on CD, and his cello concerto was recorded by Svetlanov - may have been on CD.)

I hadn't known Huss had written a violin concerto. I'm at least moderately curious about his music, and I now see there's an interesting-seeming book about his life and works browsable on Google books...

And how are the Nachéz concertos posted on IMSLP? I don't know if they are recorded or not, actually.
Eric

chill319

To rehash more extensive comments in an old thread... I would welcome a modern recording of the Robert McBride VC with it's lush, Straussian slow movement.

It's probably been mentioned above, but I'm extremely eager to hear Draeseke's VC in its reconstructed orchestral garb.

eschiss1

Forget if this has been mentioned (probably), but of works in the first post, Sinding concerto 1 and Reinecke's have been recorded. Also, do works that appeared in the LP era but not yet on CD (like Capoianu's fine 1957 concerto) count? (Then again, I mentioned that one in another thread already some while back, I think. Darn.)
Eric

eschiss1

Quote from: JimL on Wednesday 14 July 2010, 06:05
Can anyone tell me if Stanford's 2nd VC exists in full score, or just in violin/piano reduction?
I only just noticed the violin/piano reduction in a library listing and figured out what you were talking about (Morgan-Pierpont Library, concerto 2 in G minor, 1918) - intriguing!
Now I wouldn't mind knowing, either. Hopefully can be reconstructed or just played as is as an odd sort of violin sonata-ish-thing if not- something like that shouldn't be hidden. (And I hope that Hyperion continues the string quartet series - I want to hear a good recording of the 3rd - but that's really off-topic. Sorry. :) )
Eric

FBerwald

There is always a little  bit of confusion about the number of concertos he wrote. Here are his concertos for violin listed by Groves
(1) Violin Concerto (early, 1875)
(2) Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 74
(3) Violin Concerto No. 2 in G minor, Op.162 (1918)

The D major Op.74  concerto was recorded by hyperion. The G minor Op.162 I believe exists in piano reduction as is the case with the 3rd(4th in order of composition) piano concerto Op. 171!

eschiss1

Quote from: FBerwald on Monday 23 August 2010, 19:35

There is always a little  bit of confusion about the number of concertos he wrote. Here are his concertos for violin listed by Groves
(1) Violin Concerto (early, 1875)
(2) Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 74
(3) Violin Concerto No. 2 in G minor, Op.162 (1918)

The D major Op.74  concerto was recorded by hyperion. The G minor Op.162 I believe exists in piano reduction as is the case with the 3rd(4th in order of composition) piano concerto Op. 171!
Hrm.  Had read that the op.171 was completed, not orchestrated, but you may be right... as to op.162, came across this Pierpont Morgan Library reference for the reduced (manuscript as noted) score- it may have been completed September 20 1918 (to quote the summary OCLC/Worldcat provides, of course one can go to PML's library catalog also -

'At the end: "CV Stanford / Sep[?] 20 [19]18."')
Eric (no idea where the scores of opp 20 (cello conc.) and 171 are about- maybe the British Library, maybe private collections...)

Alan Howe

Quote from: tcutler on Monday 23 August 2010, 19:16
Add to the list the violin concertos of two of Brahms' students, Gustav Jenner and Richard von Perger. I'd like to hear these.

I didn't know that Jenner wrote a VC. Any information on this, Tim?

eschiss1

Quote from: Alan Howe on Tuesday 24 August 2010, 19:23
Quote from: tcutler on Monday 23 August 2010, 19:16
Add to the list the violin concertos of two of Brahms' students, Gustav Jenner and Richard von Perger. I'd like to hear these.

I didn't know that Jenner wrote a VC. Any information on this, Tim?
This would interest me also, whether in form of manuscript location or performance history-
Eric

Alan Howe

One VC which I would very much like to hear would be that in A major, Op.20 from 1902 by Leone Sinigaglia (1868-1944) - according to Toskey a 40-minute work.