News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Violin Concerto Wishlist!

Started by FBerwald, Saturday 30 May 2009, 15:46

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I mentioned a violin concerto by Vitezslav Novák that apparently may actually, I gather now, have been misattributed and actually be by Jan Václav Novák. Pity... I would have found an 1910-ca. violin concerto by V. Novák really neat. (I think the work has been recorded, anyway, so will try to have a listen to it. How good a work is _shouldn't_ actually depend on whether "Beethoven" or "Witt" - or "Weber" or "Reissiger" - or "Bach" or Kellner/Ringk - is the name on the published score/copy :)  (but yes, how well it will do no doubt will.) )

eschiss1

I think that's the very RAI broadcast recording of the Sinigaglia that was also available on RAI online (together with a recording of one of Bazzini's concertos...) as an online download/stream and in which form we had it in our Downloads section at one point- but I'm not really sure.

eschiss1

It's also kind of neat that soon after user JimL posted his request for more concertos by Ferdinand David, Hyperion started complying (recording nos. 4&5 that winter (2009), releasing them the next spring.) :D

JimL

Ah! Now if only they would get around to Nos. 1, 2, and 3!

Alan Howe

I'd say the Draeseke VC is a must-record...

Gareth Vaughan

chill319

QuoteI'd say the Draeseke VC is a must-record
I'd snap up such a recording in a second. But has the orchestration been finished? If so, has the orchestration been performed? (Many composers have touched up their orchestrations after hearing them in a hall...)

Alan Howe

I have the orchestration done by Draeseke expert Wolfgang Müller-Steinbach and published by Florian Noetzel Verlag (fifth item):
http://noetzel-verlag.de/uploads/media/Wolfgang_Mueller-Steinbach-Ausgaben.pdf

eschiss1

I assume Lassen's has been mentioned a few times already.

If Heikki Suolahti's A minor concerto is as good as his symphony (the MS full score has been uploaded to IMSLP, though its provenance is not specified :( ) then it definitely should be worth a go (and I'm fairly sure despite the 1934 date that it would be within our remit, also. I've heard his Sinfonia piccola a few times. Both are from a teenage composer, by the way.)

Alan Howe

Linus Roth's upcoming concerts (at his own website) include this enigmatic entry:

18/6/ - 22/6/2018 Glasgow / Scotland: CD Recording with BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra / Antony Hermus

This must be a planned Hyperion RVC recording. Wonder what's on the menu???

eschiss1

Some of his concerts are listed at the Tirol Symphony Orchestra/Landestheater website, I see?... There's a neat coincidence, pity Rufinatscha didn't compose a violin concerto... (e.g. May 24, 7th concert. Though the work he plays there is (1) a work he's recently- this year- recorded (2) outside our remit. A good work though, and it's surely no bad thing that a violinist has good and broad taste, recording good unusual works from many periods.)

Alan Howe

...right, but what's Roth recording in Glasgow in June? And with Hyperion's go-to band?

eschiss1

don't know. and it seems that the orchestra's schedule ends in May or early June, so checking that schedule for any concerts that might give a clue won't work right now at least.

Roth usually records with other labels, I wonder if this is a long-term change?

Alan Howe

Well, remember that Roth has been playing the Lassen VC...