Bicentenary William Sterndale Bennett

Started by TomCase, Thursday 14 January 2016, 17:33

Previous topic - Next topic

FBerwald

I hate to disagree but according to the Hyperion website Vol. 72 is Potter, followed by Vol. 73, which, according to the  Simon Callaghan's website, are the Sacheverell Coke Concertos https://ncms.imgix.net/simon/LBe5vJKmmDh9aSR3Q?w=1920. The Bronsart might follow that !?!

giles.enders

You're correct, it is me getting things in the wrong order.  I should write things down when I hear them.  My point really was that SB would not be released this year.

A piece of ephemera:  Dr Peter Horton of The RCM has prepared new performing editions of the third and fourth concertos.  It is hoped that these will be used for a performance and possible recording on Sterndale-Bennett's Broadwood piano. Here lies the problem, it is not in a playable condition.  Broadwood are happy to restore it and unbelievably still have suitable contemporary parts.  The owner of the piano hasn't the funds to pay for it, which would amount to several thousand pounds.

Below I have copied and pasted the information I originally posted elsewhere on this site:

Piano and Orchestra

Piano Concerto No.1 in D minor  Op.1  1832
Piano Concerto No.2 in E flat  Op.4  1833
Piano Concerto No.3 in C minor  Op.9  1834
Piano Concerto No.4 in F minor  Op.19  1838
Piano Concerto No.5 in F minor  Wo.32  1836  This was written before number 4 and set aside.
Piano Concerto No.6 in A minor  Wo.48  1843-8 (concertstuck) In private hands and not available for performance or recording.
Piano Concerto for two pianos, one movement only.  1835.   Joint composition with George Macfarren 1813-1887.  I understand that this piece is best left 'buried'
Adagio in G minor  Wo.27  1834
Caprice in E major  Op.22  1838
A Stroll Through the Meadows  Wo.37  1838

FBerwald

Why is it [Concerto for 2 Pianos] best left buried?

Gareth Vaughan

Presumably because it does not show the composer at his best.

giles.enders

I understand it is a very poor piece.  I am aware that it has been looked at by several interested parties.  His piano concertos and some of the solo piano works are his best works.