Bicentenary William Sterndale Bennett

Started by TomCase, Thursday 14 January 2016, 17:33

Previous topic - Next topic

TomCase

Members may like to know that the bicentenary will be marked by several events notably at the Holywell Rooms Oxford on 5th February and 13th April; the RAM on 11th, 18th, 26th, 29th February and 1st March; CUMS in Cambridge 1st March; Orpington Symphony Orchestra on 5th March; Conway Hall on 10th April; The Sterndale Singers Sheffield on 16th April; Marlow URC on 21st April; Hatchlands on 23rd April and 4th May; Woking Concert Society 8th May; an RCM Study Day on 30th June and several lectures to member groups of the Federation of Recorded Music Societies through the year. 

He will be the subject of Composer of the Week 11-16th April on BBC Radio 3 and articles will appear in BBC Music Magazine, Choir & Organ, The Journal of the British Music Society, BRIO and Nineteenth Century Music Review.

semloh

Thanks for that news, Tom. It looks to me like it's being recognised quite generously.
I wonder if it also be marked by the release of some new CDs.

Jimfin

No chance of Piano Concerto no. 6 being finally published to celebrate?

kolaboy

Is the unfinished score of "Zion" still extant? I hope that some neglected works will be unearthed.

TomCase

I know of three new CD's being negotiated and will provide details as soon as they are confirmed.
It will not include the 6th piano concerto as this remains unavailable

TomCase

Talking to those who organised the bicentenary I can report that during 2016 there have been just over 100 concerts in the UK and in 7 countries abroad featuring his works, 14 articles in musical journals, several lectures mainly at the behest of the Federation of Recorded Music Societies, displays at the RAM and the Bodleian in Oxford,  He was featured on BBC Radio 3 as Composer of the Week 11-16 April which drew much interest not least in four little known anthems recorded specially for the occasion by the BBC Singers.  The first three piano concertos have been re-recorded by Howard Shelley for Hyperion due for release in 2017 as is the Piano Sonata No 1 Op 13 played by Hiro Takenouchi for Artelinna.

Alan Howe

QuoteThe first three piano concertos have been re-recorded by Howard Shelley for Hyperion due for release in 2017

Oh, that is good news. Shelley's great in this sort of repertoire.

I'm assuming you mean that PCs 1-3 are to be recorded again, but not that Shelley has recorded them before.

eschiss1

The pianist in Unicorn's pioneering series (one disc recently reissued I think) was Binns and I think Shelley hasn't recorded them (commercially?...)

eschiss1

Alan Howe

TomCase

My unclear wording. You are correct. Howard Shelley has just recorded PCs I, 2 and 3.  The original was done by Malcolm Binns some 30 years ago.   

FBerwald

Any news regarding the release of the excellent concertos by Sterndale Bennett - PC 1 - 3. I'm curious as to whether these will be a part of the Romantic Piano Concerto series.

Gareth Vaughan

If they are Hyperion recordings they won't be released until sometime next year (probably second half) as there are other disks in that series scheduled for release up to the end of 2017 and into early 2018.

giles.enders

To make things clear:  Malcolm Binns recorded the first five Sterndale-Bennett piano concertos thirty years ago.  Number 4 was on Unicorn Kanchana and the other four on Lyrita.  Hyperion recorded number 4 coupled with a concerto by Bache , who had been a Sterndale-Bennett pupil.  They have now recorded concertos 1,2,& 3.  These will be released next year.  This leaves Hyperion the option at some time in the distant future of recording the 5th and the 6th which is a concertino.  Members will know of the issues surrounding the the 6th.  I thought the Bache concerto  was rather better than the Sterndale-Bennett but haven't played them for some time.  I would like to see the other Bache works recorded.

Going off topic Hyperion's next release in the series is Bronsart,  followed by Sacheverall Coke.  (pronounced Cook according to family)

Alan Howe

Still off-topic. Thanks, Giles. Can you tell us any more about the Bronsart recording and what the coupling will be? If so, I'll start a new thread...