News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Godard: Dante

Started by mikehopf, Saturday 30 January 2016, 20:36

Previous topic - Next topic

jdperdrix

Hadrianus,
I did not check the whole file for interruptions. The one you get when you download is 4,251,306 kbytes and lasts 2 hours and 33 minutes. There are no interviews during the intermissions, so it has been already edited by BR. The last 4 minutes are applauses.
I've extracted the audio as MP3 160k/48kHz sampling. It's 174 Mbytes. I've uploaded it without any editing on mediafire. Here's the link, if you want to check:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/e5cdh1we3k7wf2h/Godard_Dante.zip
As you seem to be editing it, I won't do it, unless it's necessary.
So no use adding this link to the download section.

adriano

hi again jdperdrix :-)
Have finished editing and correcting. 4 separate MP3 files plus bonus. The 3rd act needed a lot of editing because of the bad connection, but now it seems to be OK.
I have no practice with uploading files, what I caould do is to send mine to you by wetransfer, so you can also check. Let me know your e-mail address via UC messenger.

BerlinExpat

I have a perfect copy with applause except ends of acts edited out, but it looks as if others have beaten me to it!

Alan Howe

Do upload, if you have the time...

Alan Howe

Thanks go to BerlinExpat for uploading the work. It's now available here:
http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,5973.msg63151/boardseen.html#new

Much appreciated, Colin!

Mark Thomas

Absolutely. Thanks Colin. I'm looking forward to hearing this when I get back home.

jdperdrix

Thanks to BerlinExpat for uploading.
I'd edited the file myself and followed with the score.
Actually, the 1st act lasts some 35 minutes and the 2nd only 33. Check with the score on imspl. Your cut is after N°5.

PS. I've checked your files on mediafire. Given their size, you have fixed that already!

BerlinExpat

Many thanks for pointing that out, jdperdrix. I'd labelled my CDs incorrectly! I've recently discovered a Staedler Lumoplast eraser will remove the ink from a permanent marker from a CD.

adriano

Happy to see that others could organize downloads. Hope those are better than mine, which, still, is quite OK, but have some little interferences... Next time I hope to be able again to record from digital cable radio and not from internet radio. My recording of "Cinq Mars" has come out excellently.
The music of this opera o Dante is very beautiful indeed; on the other hand, what the librettist made out of the main character is quite discussable :-) The vocal tessituras are great and quite demanding.
The whole piece fits quite well to some of Gustave Doré's engravings - as a cover to my CDRs I just used one of them!

jdperdrix

To those interested in iconographic documents, go to gallica.bnf.fr, or click http://gallica.bnf.fr/services/engine/search/sru?operation=searchRetrieve&version=1.2&startRecord=0&maximumRecords=15&page=1&query=%28gallica%20all%20%22godard%20dante%22%29. On the first page, you'll find Godard's manuscript and drawing by Mucha for the characters of the opera as well as engravings by Morland.

adriano

Merci! Très jolies et fort intéressant, jdperdrix :-)

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

Having read the comments of Mark and Alan on Felicien David's music, I must say I tend to agree with Alan, though (like him) I am glad to have made the journey and will happily revisit some of the places. But Godard, on the other hand, strikes me as a composer more worthy of exploration, and I hope ES will do that. The release of "Dante" bodes well.

Alan Howe

My goodness, Dante is a terrific score. Quite dark to start with and containing some strenuous writing for the tenor lead - well sung here, thank goodness (by Edgaras Montvidas). More when I have absorbed more of the opera...

jdperdrix

The 2-CD box is now available with a very comprehensive booklet, as usual from Palazzetto Bru Zane/Ediciones Singulares.
I've not checked if there are cuts. The vocal score is available at imslp.