Godard Symphonie Gotique & Symphony 2

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 02 February 2016, 16:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Gareth Vaughan

Very excited by this release. I wonder if they will do Godard's other symphonies (including perhaps Op. 39, Le Tasse, Symphonie dramatique for Soli, Chorus and Orchestra - one can but hope). Symphonie orientale, Op. 84, has been recorded on Dutton, but there are also: Symphonie-Ballet, op. 60 and Symphonie legendaire, Op. 99, of the purely orchestral symphonies unrecorded.

FBerwald

I have always wondered about the Op. 60 - Is it an orchestral Symphony or is it a Piano composition; Also I remember reading somewhere that there was a Symphony No. 1 [without a title!] Am I wrong?
In any case I have always had a soft spot for Godard and really is a very exciting release.  :)

Gareth Vaughan

The Symphonie-Ballet is an orchestral work. There is a full score in Harvard University Library. Godard made arrangements of the music for piano solo and piano 4 hands. Also, I must add a correction to my earlier post: the Symphonie Legendaire is NOT a purely orchestral work; it is for orchestra with soprano, contralto and baritone soloists + women's chorus. I suspect, therefore, that this and "Le Tasse" will remain unrecorded  :-\

FBerwald

QuoteI suspect, therefore, that this and "Le Tasse" will remain unrecorded

I don't see why not, in case the plan is to record Complete symphonies of Godard! In any case it would be lovely to listen to the famous "Le Tasse" some day :)

Gareth Vaughan

Why? Because pieces with soloists & chorus always cost a lot more to perform and record, than purely orchestral works. But, of course, I hope very much that we will get to hear "Le Tasse" someday.

musiclover

I have been hoping we would get more Godard from Martin Yates on Dutton, Widor seems to have taken his focus though, of course not a bad thing. I hear he is doing a big Vaughan Williams piece this summer with singers and chorus, so maybe Dutton is up for doing works that are not purely orchestral. Perhaps someone should give them a Godard nudge....gently of course!

ncouton

Since I consider I know very well these two symphonies (I originated the project), I can tell you the music is very very interesting. Don't miss this disc!

Alan Howe

Thanks, M. Couton - that's good to know. My copy's on order.

Gareth Vaughan

Mine too. Do you know if there is any chance of the other symphonies being recorded?

Alan Howe

What can you tell us about these symphonies, M. Couton? There must be something special about them for you to be so enthusiastic about them...

FBerwald

CPO seems to be publishing booklets for new releases on the website - This is new. From the liner notes I understand there were a total of 11 symphonies - only 6 published, rest are unfinished or lost. Interestingly enough, the booklet has the heading Benjamin Godard: the complete symphonic works. Could CPO have plans to record all available Orchestral works ..... ?!?

Gareth Vaughan

Have you a link to this booklet, please? I can't seem to find it.

FBerwald

I just followed the url Alan posted on top. If you cant see it, try refreshing the page. It appears below the cover art.

Gareth Vaughan