Ukrainian Composers of the 19th Century

Started by Christopher, Tuesday 02 February 2016, 20:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

Not at all, and I'm glad to know people are enjoying.  I've come across another Ukrainian composer on youtube whose piano concerto has Rachmaninovian moments, and is melodic, harmonious and late-romantic throughout. All the more surprising therefore when I found that his dates were 1926-1998 and hence my nervousness in mentioning him.  His name is Jury Znatokov and if you type his name plus "piano concerto" into youtube's search box you will find a live concert recording. Also available (seemingly from the same concert) is his violin concerto and music from two of his ballets.

Alan Howe

:o? There's some very odd arithmetic going on here. YouTube has his dates as 1926-1998.

Mark Thomas

No problem with mentioning Znatokov's Piano Concerto if you want to, Christopher - the style of the music is certainly Rachmaninovian romantic. What I would say, though, is that the work isn't a patch on Konsenko's.

Christopher

Hi Mark - yes I agree.  The Znatokov has "moments", while the Kosenko I find rather "lush" throughout.  Of the two recordings of Kosenko PC's first movement, I prefer the Nikulin, which was posted up here a couple of years ago.  Somehow it flows better.

semloh

Regarding those dates.... Grove says:

Kosenko, Viktor Stepanovich

(b St Petersburg, 12/24 Nov 1896; d Kiev, 3 Oct 1938). Ukrainian composer and pianist. In 1918 he graduated from the St Petersburg Conservatory where he studied with Nikolay Sokolov (composition) and Irina Miklashevskaya (piano). In the period 1918–28 he lived in Zhitomir, teaching at the music school; from 1929 he lived in Kiev, teaching at the Lysenko Music Institute (1929–34) and at the conservatory (1934–8), where he ran the classes in piano, chamber music and analysis. He performed as a soloist and as an ensemble player; he was awarded the order of the Workers' Red Banner (1938). His works are Romantic in style and rely in particular on the Russian traditions of Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff and Skryabin.

Music schools in Zhitomir and Kiev (which he helped to set up) bear his name; a Kosenko stipend is awarded to the best students of the Zhitomir school and the Kiev conservatory. The house in Kiev where Kosenko lived has become a memorial museum.

Christopher

Mykhaylo Adamovych Skorulskyi - 1887-1950

I have posted up a few fragments from the ballet "Song of the Forest" (aka "Song of the Woods" - in Ukrainian "Lisova Pisnya"). 

I would draw particular attention to "The Adagio of Mavka and Lukash" and "Winter Adagio". The former is certainly a piece that I feel deserves to be more widely known. The music is alluring and ethereal, as befits a "fairy ballet". Skorulskyi wrote it in 1936 for his daughter Natalia who was a ballerina. There is not a dissonant note in it. The clips are taken from a live performance by Kyiv Opera and Ballet. 

I have also posted up a recording from a live performance by the Donetsk Ballet of the whole ballet on a single mp3 (1h22m in length).

Wikipedia (English, Ukrainian, Russian, Kazakh, via google translate):

Mikhail Skorulskyi (or Myhailo Skorulskyi; 1887–1950), was a Ukrainian composer. In 1936, he composed the score to Lisova Pisnya (The Forest Song), a three-act ballet based on the drama of the same name by Lesya Ukrainka. The ballet premiered in 1946.

Mikhail Adamovich Skorulskyi (6 (19) September 1887, Kyiv - † February 21, 1950, Moscow) - Soviet composer, pianist, conductor, teacher, Honoured Artist of the USSR (awarded 1947). Father of ballerina Natalia Skorulskaya.

In 1910 he graduated from Zhytomyr music classes of the Russian Musical Society; and in 1914 from the St. Petersburg Conservatory as a pianist under A. Yesipova and under composers Maximilian Steinberg, Jazeps Vitols and Vassili Kalafati. He taught at music schools in Zhytomyr (1908-1910, 1915-1933), at the Kyiv Conservatory (1933-1941, 1944-1950, from 1948 as professor), and in Almaty Kazakhstan (1941-1944). During his time in Kazakhstan he composed works on the basis of Kazakh folklore music in various forms. He died February 21, 1950 in Moscow. He was buried in Kiev's Baikove cemetery.

Works
Opera "Wedding Candles" (1948, after the play by I. Kocherga);
Ballet "Song of the Forest" (1936, after the play by Lesya Ukrainka);
Ballet "Bondarivna" (1939);
Ballet "The Snow Queen" (after Hans Christian Andersen, not completed
Oratorio - The Voice of the Mother (1943)
Works for orchestra - two symphonies (1923, 1932), a piano concerto, flute concerto (1933), symphonic poems "Turbayi", "A Steppe Poem in memory of Amangeldi Imanov" (1944), "Mykyta the Tanner" (1949), "Classical Overture";
Chamber music - two piano quintets (1928, 1943 - including one on themes of Abay Kunanbaev (1845-1904), a Kazakh composer and poet), a string quartet, a piano trio (1924), 2 piano sonatas, songs to words by Lesya Ukrainka, Pavel Tychyn, V. Sosyura and others.

Wikipedia about the ballet:

"Forest Song" (Ukr Lisova Pisnya.) - One of the oldest Ukrainian ballets created in 1936. Ballet in three acts, 11 scenes by composer Michael Skorulsky on the script written for his daughter, ballerina Natalia Skorulsky. The basis of the libretto was the drama of the same name by the great Ukrainian poetess Lesya Ukrainka.

The history of the "Forest Song" by M. Skorulsky

Skorulsky's music, according to the musicologist Zagaykevych, is endowed with emotional content and vivid orchestral colours. Heartfelt melody, lyricism, and winged romanticism are the dominant properties of the ballet score. Much attention is paid by the composer to the musical folklore of Volhynia region (north-west Ukraine, formerly known as Lodomeria (Lesya Ukrainka's play also is based on the region's beliefs and legends, folk imagination, animations and mythologized nature).

The premiere of "Forest Song" was in February 1946 and March 1946 in the Kyiv Opera and Ballet Theatre named after Taras Shevchenko. The choreographer was Sergey Sergeev, conductor Boris Chistyakov, artist A. Hvostenko-Hvostov. The first performers were: Mavka - Antonina Vasileva, Lukas - Alexander Berdovsky, Perelesnik - Anatoly Belov, Kylyna - Valentine Shechtman, Water Mermaid - Natalia Skorulskaya, Field Mermaid - Eugene Ershov, The One who Tears the Dam - Nikolai Apukhtin.

According to the Ukrainian ballet historian Yu Stanishevsky, the second stage of the birth of Song of the Forest "marked the beginning of a qualitatively new stage in the development of Ukrainian ballet". The ballet was "twice with great success shown in Moscow - in November 1960 at the Bolshoi Theater during the third decade of Ukrainian literature and art, and in December 1962 in the Kremlin Palace of Congresses stage during the triumphal tour of the Kiev opera and ballet company". The production of "Forest Song" entered the golden fund of the theater achievements. It received unanimous approval, poetically reproducing the beauty of nature in Volhynia and the bizarre world of fantastic ballet scenes.The large-scale and long-term success staging by Vakhtang Vronsky drew wide attention to Song of the Forest.

Yuri Stanishevsky "Ukrainian ballet theater: history and modernity" wrote "This inspirational ballet, born almost half a century ago, has become a classic of Ukraine's national music and theater, a school of acting for several generations of Kyiv soloists, the original card of the capital's theater. With the huge success it has repeatedly toured in many countries, particularly in Russia, Romania, Japan and the United States. The 2000 staging turned into a real celebration. The performance of the outstanding choreographer Vladimir Vronsky contained massive scenes, full of emotional tension, touching lyrical duets with Mavka from the forest forest whose soulful dance image was created by the virtuoso and expressive A. Dorosh, and dreamer Lukash, in love with Mavka, with sincere emotion created by the beautiful dancer M. Chepik, colourful, folk-ethnographic-coloured paints on the popular episodes of the wedding of Lukas and Kylyna, romantic composition of the corps de ballet - all organically combined humanistic ideas of a brilliant poet, woven into a harmonious, multi-faceted, holistic artistic choreographic canvas".

In 2010, a new theatrical season at the National Opera of Ukraine opened with Song of the Forest, in which the role of Lukash was danced by (British( Royal Ballet dancer Ivan Putrov, making his debut.

The Bolshoi premiere took place on May 2, 1961.

The characters in the ballet M. Skorulsky [edit | edit wiki text]
Mavka
Lukash
Perelesnik
The One who Breaks the Dam
Water Mermaid
Kuts, a lumberjack
Kylyna
Field Mermaid
Water Spirit
Uncle Leo
Woodland Spirit
Mother of Lukash
Lukashik, son of Kylyna
Poterchata

Short Synopsis

In Ukrainian demonology, a "mavka" is an evil spirit or mermaid or nymph. It was believed that Mavki are stillborn children who die unbaptized, or those that have died in Mermaid Week. A less common belief is that children cursed by their parents, or kidnapped by evil spirits, become mavki. Mermaid Week is a period in the Slavic folk calendar when mermaids are believed to come on to land, after Ascension and a week before Trinity, signifying the end of spring.

Act I

Early spring. Ancient dense forest in the Volhynia region, lake, greenery. Into a forest glade runs He Who Breaks the Dam and spins in a rapid dance with water-mermaids, the daughter of an old Water Spirit, coaxing her to run away with him. The Water Spirit wakes up angry and banishes the seducer and takes the naughty Water Mermaid to the bottom of the lake.

Into the forest comes Uncle Leo with Lukash. The skittish Water Mermaid wants to tickle them, but the Wood Spirit does not allow it. Mavka wakes up from her winter sleep. Like a ray of sunshine she dances in the meadow, enchanted by the melody of spring, played in the distance by Lukash on his flute. Mavka suddenly appears in front of the young man at the moment when he wants to make an incision with his knife into a birch tree. Mavka asks Lukash not to hurt her sister-tree. Lukash is fascinated by Mavka, but his Uncle Leo calls for him.

From the forest into the clearing flies the blazing fire Perelesnik, he wants to hug Mavka, but she runs away from him. Uncle Leo and Lukash reappear in the forest glade, and Uncle Leo goes to sleep by the fire. When the mischievous mermaid and the lumberjack Kuts lure Lukash into a swamp, Mavka saves him. Uncle Leo thanks Mavka, and takes his nephew away with him. Dancing mermaids and forest demons try to entertain Mavka. Mavka is filled with emotions unknown to her and goes after Lukash.

Act II

Late Summer. In the forest glade Lukash has built himself a hut. Unlike his mother, Lukash's bride, the young widow Kylyna, is not suited to agricultural work. Lukash's mother punishes her by making her harvest the corn, and she leads the agile and lively young widow from the village. Only Mavka swings the sickle, and out of the corn appears her sister the Field-Mermaid and persuades her to pity her. Mavka agrees and injures her hand in order to gain the sympathy of Lukash's mother. Seeing that the work is not done, the mother orders Kylyna to harvest, and Lukash helps young woman to knit bundles. Kylyna begins to play with Lukash and soon distracts him. Lukash forgets Mavka. Mavka returns to her forest friends, but can not forget Lukash. Perelesnik swoops and spins Mavka in a dance. Suddenly He Who Sits in a Rock appears and calls Mavka to him. All flee away. Mavka meets Lukash, but he pushes her away: Lukash promises marriage to Kylyna. In search of oblivion Mavka rushes into the arms of the He Who who Sits in the Rock.

The village celebrates the wedding of Kylyna and Lukash. When the villagers lead the young to their hut, the sad form of Mavka suddenly appears to Lukash, and the despair of his betrayal overcomes him. Leaving Kylyna and guests, he runs off into the woods.

Act III
Late fall. Forest dwellers are taking revenge for Lukash's betrayal of Mavka. He loses his mind. Kuts comes into Lukash's hut. Mavka is freed from the rock by the miraculous power of her feelings and comes to Lukash. Seeing Mavka, Lukash is moved by shame. Mavka waits for Lukash outside his house.

Kylyna and his mother quarrel with Lukash. Kylyna notices Mavka and casts a spell on her. Mavka turns into a willow. Lukas appears win a brain fog. Kylyna's son Lukashik carves a flute from the willow and asks Lukash to play him a tune. The melody is heard that Lukash once played for Mavka. Enraged, Kylyna convinces Lukash to cut down the willow, but he can't raise his hand against her. Kylyna herself takes up the axe, but then Perelesnik covers the willow in fire. The fire spreads from the willow to the hut. The mother of Lukash and Kylyna barely have time to save their belongings. They go to the village, and Lukash remains in the woods, playing a song for his lost love.

On a cold winter night the ethereal shadow of Mavka comes to Lukash in his longing. She has not gone through physical death due to the strength of their feelings; they are reborn in the music, embodied as an eternal melody of spring and love. It is the melody, to which Mavka gives form, and Lukash gives his spirit. The weightless snow-white shade of Mavka gives her forgiveness to Lukash, and disappears. Day breaks, and cold snowflakes circle around Lukash.

Epilogue

Once again, nature is reborn to life. In the blossoming spring forest Lukashik plays the melody that Lukash once played for Mavka.

eschiss1

I'm guessing Prokofieff is more Soviet than Ukrainian (and, yes, I know, too modern except in just a very few early works for this forum, etcætera... )
Did anyone mention Kalachevsky?

Christopher

Yes I've got a couple of Kalachevsky orchestral pieces of recordings from live concerts which I plan to post up in due course.  His symphony has already been posted up here I think.

jerfilm

that would be great, Christopher.  There seems to be nothing out there except the Symphony and that's been available forever......

J

Christopher

Hi Jerfilm - have just looked through what I have of Kalachevsky and it's the following (both off youtube):

- a recording from a live concert of a Romance, but played on folk instruments (balalaikas, banduras, etc). Not sure if quite your thing?
- a recording from an old Soviet educational cassette of his Nocturne for string orchestra (plus balalaikas). But not sure if allowed to upload on to UC?

jerfilm

thanks.  That's OK, I can easily download it from youtube.

Wish there were more....

Jerry

LND77

Thanks for your interesting posts. Are you familiar with the Ukrainian Art Song Project (UASP) and the Musica Leopolis recording label? It's a Canadian non-profit venture founded in 2004 which aims to record 1,000+ art songs by 26 of Ukraine's greatest composers. To date, over 350 art songs have been recorded featuring composers such as Mykola Lysenko, Kyrylo Stetsenko, Yakiv Stepovyi and Vasyl Barvinsky.  Featured artists are British bass-baritone, Pavlo Hunka (who founded the project), mezzo-soprano, Krisztina Szabó,  baritone, Russell Braun and soprano, Monica Whicher. The scores are published on the website and can be downloaded free of charge on the UASP website at www.ukrainianartsong.ca
I hope that you find this of interest.

Christopher

If of interest to anyone, Vasyl Barvinsky's cello concerto has been recorded and posted up on youtube.  It doesn't, at first listen, sound like a particularly strong piece, nor particularly well played (I think it must be a student orchestra or something - lots of scrapes and squeaks!) - but 10 out of 10 for effort as they say.  Stylistically it fits the late-romantic genre I would say.

Vasyl Oleksandrovych Barvinsky (1888-1963)
Cello Concerto (1956)
(orch. Viktor Kaminsky, b.1953)

Taras Mentsinsky (cello), M. Lysenko Opera SO, Bohdan Dashak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR4vNb_Qj9U

semloh

Thanks for that link, Christopher. I've enjoyed the music, and I rather like the natural quality of the performance.