News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

George Whitefield Chadwick

Started by FBerwald, Sunday 25 July 2010, 16:14

Previous topic - Next topic

FBerwald

Quick question... Has Chadwick's Symphony No. 1 ever been recorded? I just heard his Symphony no 3 in F for which Dvorak awarded Ist price in a competition...(well obviously!!!!!!!!!!!!) What a stunning Symphony!

mbhaub

Short answer: no. At least not commercially. It would be interesting to know if it has even been performed by anyone and a recording made.

eschiss1

By the way, it's in C major, his op. 5, begun in 1877; finished 11/23/1881. See http://books.google.com/books?id=F-cOafRJIFQC&pg=PA8. (Premiered Feb. 23 1882.)
Eric

Alan Howe

I cannot locate a score of the first symphony anywhere. Does it still exist?

eschiss1

Quote from: Alan Howe on Sunday 25 July 2010, 21:45
I cannot locate a score of the first symphony anywhere. Does it still exist?

Worldcat lists it twice (manuscript copy, archival, unpublished), but I can't seem to figure out at which libraries; and there's a dissertation about it by Mark Ignatovich (Catholic University of America, 1985), also.  I'm guessing it still exists but am not 100% positive on that evidence.

mbhaub

And sadly, Victor Yellin who wrote the bio on Chadwick passed several years ago.

eschiss1

Quote from: mbhaub on Sunday 25 July 2010, 22:14
And sadly, Victor Yellin who wrote the bio on Chadwick passed several years ago.
Musicologist Bill F. Faucett (editor of several of Chadwick's works and author of several works about Chadwick I believe) may still be alive though... (apparently he teaches in Florida.)

Gareth Vaughan

I am reliably informed that the score (and parts) are held at the New England Conservatory in Boston, Massachusetts.
The symphony was never published.
My source is Sebastiaan Geijtenbeek, the author of this website: http://members.home.nl/basboy/gwchfr.html

Alan Howe

Well sniffed out, Gareth. Thanks!

Gareth Vaughan

I have today contacted the Head Librarian and ascertained that the MS score and parts do exist. They would be willing to send me a photocopy of the score for $105. That's about £68. I'm not sure if I'm that interested at present.

Alan Howe

What about offering the possibility to Chandos, Gareth? They may feel like adding to their Chadwick recordings...

Gareth Vaughan

I was thinking of doing that. Do you have a contact at Chandos, Alan?

Alan Howe

eschiss1

I was going to suggest Klaus Heymann @ Naxos because of their American Classics series (though it hasn't premiered any Chadwick to my knowledge, true) :)
Eric

Gareth Vaughan