News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

George Whitefield Chadwick

Started by FBerwald, Sunday 25 July 2010, 16:14

Previous topic - Next topic

dhibbard

Copeland--->  Fanfare for the Common Man.. ended up in last movement of Symphony.

Alan Howe

But there's no such evidence with regard to Chadwick 1, is there? It's just speculation. IOW a blind alley.

eschiss1

sorry, it wasn't clear to me what you were asking for by "evidence". I know of no such evidence, no.

Alan Howe

dhibbard

No I don't have any evidence... just saying.... I'd have to really study the score or listen to a performance to really determine if it was recycled.   Too bad we don't have a performance to listen too.

chill319

It's not out of the question that Chadwick made a four-hand or two-piano reduction of his first symphony. Just saying. (Any such MS would serve as a secondary source in producing an Urtext.) But that, of course, is completely different from cannibalizing one's first symphony to produce some other work. Given Chadwick's rich vein of invention, such an action, though not impossible, seems implausible -- as well as undocumented.

Alan Howe

QuoteNo I don't have any evidence... just saying

Unfortunately, that's how 'fake facts' go viral these days...

minacciosa

I went to NEC and in my two years there I did not hear a single note of Chadwick. However, NEC is where I first got to see scores by Henry Hadley.

eschiss1

NEC has however digitized a ton of - both composers? certainly Chadwick- Paine too I am almost certain. I think they're the sources of many of those composers' digital ms transfers further mirrored @ IMSLP... just to be fair though redundant

minacciosa

Do you have a link for those digital assets?

eschiss1

they should be linked from either the corresponding IMSLP pages or Chadwick's category on the same site or both. Will check in a few hours and edit this, sorry.

MartinH

And there it is: the unpublished parts for the First Symphony are in the orchestra library.

Can anyone explain something about the Anniversary Overture: it says the original publication date is 1922, then it's also an Unpublished Manuscript. Seems contradictory or at the least confusing.

chill319

Thanks, Eric! I spent a half hour or more on the NEC website, finding little more than recordings and a few scores.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteAnd there it is: the unpublished parts for the First Symphony are in the orchestra library.

I wrote that they were on pp. 1 & 2 of this thread. Does nobody read anything?