R. Sacheverell Coke Concertos at last?

Started by edurban, Friday 29 April 2016, 03:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Try this old thread, Eric:
http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,3621.0.html
I wasn't suggesting that the comparisons are valid, merely that they are often made...

eschiss1

Ah. Yes.  And yes, we did have that discussion in that thread. (And probably "Rachmaninoffian" should not have been equated, the bar set so low, with "Rachmaninoff like moments" as by some there; one thinks perhaps there's more binding the 3 mature Rach piano concertos, 2 piano sonatas, Rhapsody, and a number of his other works than that even if it's not the easiest thing(s) to define. But yes, off Coke-concerto-topic. 

Wishing again that NML streamed Hyperion, Dutton and MDG (Hyperion, in this case) (because I'm a cheapskate, I guess...) but they don't- still, I will get to hear these concertos, legally and before long, I'm sure :) (I see NML does seem to have his piano preludes on SOMM and the Danacord CD with a work of his (from Husum). Making a note, no pun intended.)

Edit: i'm hoping that eventually my nearby University library will be on _this_ list once it starts filling up... --- http://www.worldcat.org/title/piano-concerto-no-3-op-30-piano-concerto-no-4-op-38-piano-concerto-no-5-op-57/oclc/1003242811 :)  That'll do it. (Or of course so would my local public library, which isn't on Worldcat.) (edit 9 months later: 17-odd universities on that list and I don't doubt others that Worldcat just doesn't mention. Not bad. My alma mater isn't but anyway. 17's pretty good...)

giles.enders

As a film enthusiast, liking films from the 1920's to the present day, what I heard in these concertos were, wisps, echos, half remembered fragments of film music particularly in the piano concertos 3 & 4. I recently asked Coke's niece if he had an interest in the cinema.  She said that when he wasn't composing his other love was the cinema, going as often as three times a week.  She also said that I was the only person to point this out.  I wonder if any one else has observed this?

Gareth Vaughan

Giles and I discussed this after the performance of the Elegiac Trio which I organised in London in June this year. I found the influence of film music almost stronger in the Trio than in the PCs, though clear enough in both. That said, I hadn't really put my finger on this influence in the PCs until Giles pointed it out to me, when it at once became obvious.

Alan Howe

Interesting. How does this influence manifest itself? Are there hints of any particular film music composers?

giles.enders

Both in half forgotten themes and also in orchestration, the latter is particularly noticeable in piano concerto 4.  It would take a very patient scholar to look at the films and relate the musical themes to his compositions.

Alan Howe

Is it more a feeling of reminiscence than actual quotation?