Freiburg (Germany) Opera and concert season 2016/17

Started by ewk, Friday 13 May 2016, 19:23

Previous topic - Next topic

ewk

Dear all,

This week, the Theater Freiburg (Germany) announced its next season's programmes. Thanks to them, we have the new recordings of I gioelli della Madonna (Wolf-Ferrari) (upcoming), Die königin von Saba (Goldmark), Francesca da Rimini (Zandonai) and L'Arlesiana (Cilea) (All cpo).

The upcoming season is probably quite interesting for us, the booklets can be viewed here:
opera: https://issuu.com/theater.freiburg/docs/tf_spielzeitheft16_17_ansicht_einz
concerts: https://issuu.com/theater.freiburg/docs/pho_konzertheft_16_17_ansicht_einz

unsung works to be performed:

Very young Verdi's opera "Jerusalem" (can Verdi's works be counted as unsung? I at least had not heard of "Jerusalem")
Massenet cendrillon – according to Wikipedia, the work has not seen so many performances but may also not count as really unsung.
BUT:
Korngold: Das Wunder der Heliane (concert performance), according to the booklet to be recorded by Naxos.

Concerts:
21 March 2017: Goldmark: Sakuntala Ouvertüre, Alberic Magnard: Symphony No. 4. According to the booklet, this will be the start of a Magnard series including his entire orchestral works recorded by Naxos.

Very nice to have these works performed (and recorded!) in such a small town (200.000 inhabitants)!

Best wishes,
ewk

Alan Howe

Ilja

Just like L'assedio di Haarlem is an adaptation of La battaglia di Legnano. Verdi was quite adept at marketing.

Regarding the original post: damn. This is going to make a dent in my budget because Freiburg is surprisingly expensive to get to from the Netherlands. But there's no way I'm am going to pass on live performances of Magnard,

Thanks for the heads-up.

ewk

Thanks Alan for the information, so this one drops out of the list. Nonetheless, I am impressed by next season's programme.

@ Ilya: If you book early enough (it is possible exactly 90 days before the journey on bahn.de and half a year in advance at "gleisnost"), Deutsche Bahn (German Railway) sells tickets from e.g. Den Haag to Freiburg for 39€.  If you come to Freiburg multiple times, even a "Bahncard 25" which saves you 25% off the prices may be profitable.

Best wishes,
ewk