Saint-Saens' Proserpine

Started by BerlinExpat, Monday 23 May 2016, 22:28

Previous topic - Next topic

adriano

@ minacciosa. Yes, this will be my 3rd CD with music by Dalcroze - and the vocal cycle for soprano and orchestra "Tragédie d'amour" is a real discovery! Dalcroze's wife Nina Faliero premiered it in 1906 - and since then it was totally forgotten. I had to prepare a new vocal score...

minacciosa

That is fascinating. I had not heard of Dalcroze until I received classes in Dalcroze method at conservatory. Then I discovered he was a composer and have wanted to hear his music ever since. I did not know you had already recorded him. I will find your recordings.

mikehopf

Many thanks for recording this delightfully tuneful work.

adriano

You are welcome, mikehopf :-)
Still, these newly discovered Saint-Saens operas never reach the magnificence and impact of "Samson et Dalila" - although this was at first conceived as an oratorio...

adriano

Thanks Aragion. Palazzetto Bru Zane must have a lot of money to produce all this wonderful series.
The Rossetti picture probably refers to the mythological Proserpine, which has nothing to do with the Saint-Saens one...

Aragion

I don't know about Bru Zane, but they release new CDs more often then,  for example, Opera Rara. I suppose Opera Rara currently faces more financial problems (especially after the death of Sir Peter Moores, who supported this label for many years).

Mark Thomas

Proserpine is an enjoyable listen, as one would expect from Saint-Saëns, but it's not one of his greatest efforts. The story is a grubby little tale of love and murder (it would be well suited to verismo), so I expected an ardent, driven piece, but in this performance at least it all seemed rather tepid and bloodless. One could almost define the work by what it isn't: not as symphonic as Les Barbères, not as psychological as Henry VIII and lacking its period colour, not as passionate as Samson et Delilah, not as sumptuous as Hélène. Curiously, I was reminded more than once of the earthly scenes in Bioto's Mephistofole. It's all rather anonymous, although still a welcome treat for fans of romantic French opera such as me.

BerlinExpat

My sentiments entirely, Mark. I kept waiting for something to 'happen' and at the end wondered if I had dropped off while listening. Delightful Saint-Saëns music as always. but failing to satisfy dramatically.
I'm surprised Ulf Schirmer and Bru Zane gave it preference over Étienne Marcel, which really deserves a modern recording if the Montpellier concert performance is never to be released commercially.

Christopher

Has Ascanio ever been recorded in full, commercially or otherwise?

mjmosca

After listening to Proserpine 3 times, I find it very good indeed. First of all, the forces involved are fully up to their assignment, as opposed to Les Barbares, so it was possible to assess the work. The story is no worse than many other operas of the time, and better than some. I do find that one misses the stage picture- after all this was written as a staged work, and when listening only, the suicide of Proserpine seems abrupt. It would be different in the opera house. So far, I find that Henry VIII is outstanding, and should be performed often, Etienne Marcel nearly as good (here again, the ending needs the stage to be fully effective). Martin Cooper (in French Music from the Death of Berlioz to the Death of Faure) claims that Ascanio is the finest of Saint-Saens' operas after Samson. Looking forward to hearing that one. But, I am really happy to have this and wlil purchase the book/CD when it is issued. Thank you hadrianus for uploading this wonderful work.

adriano

Alan Howe

jdperdrix