Moór Symphony No.2 and PC2 in C minor

Started by Aramiarz, Thursday 07 July 2016, 17:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Masterraro

I have found my Emanuel Moor file and there is much info in it that I forgot I had. I did my research on Moor in 1998 and my link to the Lausanne Archive is now defunct. However I have found the modern links. It is at the  Biblitheque canonale et universitaire, Riponne, phone no +41 21 216 78 80, email info-riponne@bcu.uni.ch

It is interesting what you have found listed on the main online catalogue. In 1998 I duplicated  the list they had of the stock in the archive (entitled Music Cabinet in Office...?). It duplicates the works you list as well as masses of other stuff.In addition to  Symphony No 7 (including extra score) there is (should be) Symphony in D min (full score), Symphony No 5 (score & parts), Symphony in A minor (score & parts), Symphony in D min Op 44 (sic) (Score & Parts), Symphony No 4 (ms score), Symphony No 6, Symphony No 1 (ms Score). My own list has the Symphonies 2 & 3 but I never finished listing everything. I can send you copies of their 'Music Cabinet' list if you are interested. Looking at it there is a huge task for someone to sort it all out, I can understand why the library feels they haven't got the staff resources or expertise to do so. I also wonder whether the works you list from the main online catalogue come out of the archive and why did they chose those ones in particular?

Rob H

Have I missed a link for this recording? I Google the Moor Society but can't find anything. Does anyone have a link to either the recording or the society? Thanks

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteIn what sense Boosey owns the rights besides their wishful thinking, I'm not wholly sure

In the same sense, I imagine, that Peters felt they owned the rights to Litolff's Concerto Symphonique (or Concerto-Sinfonie, as he called it) No. 2 - and Hyperion paid them! But that was because, at the time, Mike Spring knew of no other source of the orchestral parts (no full score was ever published) than the Peters archive. As some on this forum will know, there is a complete set of printed parts in The Newberry Library, Chicago, so as I said to Mike it would have been nice to have been able to tell Peters to get stuffed. They even had the cheek to lay claim to the full score which Hyperion produced (at their own expense) from the parts for the recording, and insisted it be given to them (Peters) after the CD was released. Unbelievable!! Particularly when you know that when Mike approached Peters in the first place they denied all knowledge of having the parts, saying they were lost - it was only because he knew one of the staff in the archive personally, who, being sure the parts were there somewhere, instituted a search, that they came to light.

Mark Thomas

Prompted by this news, I have just listened to the Hungaroton recording of the Cello Concertos. They are impressive and enjoyable in many ways but, if they are representative of his other music, whatever talents he may no doubt have had he certainly wasn't blessed with the gift of memorable melody.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteHave I missed a link for this recording? I Google the Moor Society but can't find anything.

The recording has not yet been released, and by "Moor Society" I think Aramiarz must mean the "Henrik and Emanuel Moor Foundation": http://www.emanuel-und-henrik-moor-stiftung.de/index.shtml  Likewise when he writes about the "Moor Gesellschaft" (at least, I think so).

Aramiarz

Rob H

Thanks for the link. I saw that link but could find no mention of an upcoming release.

Gareth Vaughan

The Moor Foundation website is not very well maintained, to be honest. You'll learn about recordings faster here, I reckon!  ;)

Wheesht

That was my impression too. It looked as though it was barely alive, with the last update from March 2014 and no contact function that I could find. I may try to write to them if I can muster the energy – or enough irritation...

Gareth Vaughan

Is there any news yet of a release date for this disk?

Aramiarz

Dear friends
   Hello! I have the next new: the wonderful second symphony was recorded! Great work. The other piece will be the "Serenade for strings", op 16. Excuse me the next, anyone has information about this work? In the booklet will appear his name If can provide interesting comments.

The PC will be performance the next year. Mr Ritter indicated me that ís more difficult than Brahms's PC! He had performanced both... In one night!

eschiss1

Yes. The serenade is on IMSLP in score, parts and in a recording-ish thing by our participant "matesic" (thanks to!) See http://imslp.org/wiki/Serenade_for_String_Orchestra,_Op.16_(Mo%C3%B3r,_Emanuel). Composed 1881, first published 1888 (or earlier).

Gareth Vaughan

So let me get this clear. The first Moor CD will contain the 2nd symphony and the Serenade for strings. Do you have a release date for this, please? And there will be another Moor CD containing the 2nd piano concerto and (I presume) another work, to be recorded next year. Do you know what the other work will be?

Aramiarz

Dear Erick & Gareth
   It's correct! The second Cd will be the PC in c moll And maybe the symphony Opus 65 in e minor, anyone to know more about this piece? Was the favorite by Casals?   do You prefer this symphony or the Concert-Ouverture op 24a? We have interest too in the VC op 62, 66 or 72

Gareth Vaughan

Well the e minor Symphony no. 6 was dedicated to Casals so one hopes he liked it.