Moór Symphony No.2 and PC2 in C minor

Started by Aramiarz, Thursday 07 July 2016, 17:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Hi Aramiarz,

Since none of us knows any of this music, I would be grateful to hear anything by this fine composer - whether symphonies or violin concertos. All I can suggest is that it would be good to hear as wide a variety of Moór's music as possible.

Gareth Vaughan

I heartily endorse Alan's comment above. More and more, please.

Aramiarz

Ok dear friends! I have one question, in Imslp said that the symphony was dedicated to Volkmar Andreae.... :( :-\

Alan Howe

That's the E minor Symphony. Andreae, of course, was a very fine composer and conductor...

Gareth Vaughan

Well there is some confusion here. I am sure I have seen a list giving the 6th Symphony Op. 65 in E minor dedicated to Casals  and yet I have checked my own lists and find I have noted it as dedicated to Andreae. Given that I can't produce any written evidence to show the dedication to Casals I must assume that I have made a mistake. Hmm!

Gareth Vaughan

Aramiarz,

Two things.

1. Have you considered the Pensees Symphoniques Op. 75 or the Triple Concerto, Op. 70, scores and parts for both of which are in Fleisher?
2. Do you have a release date for the Kossuth symphony disk?

Best wishes,
Gareth

Alan Howe

The title page of the E minor Symphony clearly shows the dedication to Andreae:

adriano

Andreae also performed the "Improvisationen für Orchester" by Moór in a Zurich concert of 1st June 1908, with works by Schoeck ("Ratcliff-Ouvertüre") and by Brun (1st Symphony) - the latter conducted by the respective composers. The same exciting program included also choral work by Carl Hess ("Nähe des Toten") and by Friedrich Klose ("Vidi aquam"), also conducted by Andreae. But this is only what was played before the intermission! After this, composer Josef Lauber conducted his "Le Paradis Perdu" for soli, female choir and orchestra. Musical life in Zurich appears quite dull today in comparison.

eschiss1

Aren't there 2 E minor symphonies by Moor? (Or am I thinking of the 2 C major symphonies...) One might be the one you have before you, the other the one dedicated to Casals and the one recorded.

Not quite true that we know none of the works at all. At least reductions, etc of those 3  violin concertos are at IMSLP, so one can get a notion...

(Am on vacation and much in the way of participation will have to wait until nearendofmonth...)

Alan Howe

There are indeed two E minor symphonies: No.1 (WoO152 unpublished, 1893) and No.6 (Op.65, 1906), the one under consideration here.

There are also two C major symphonies: No.2, dedicated to Kossuth (WoO153, 1895) and No.7, dedicated to Mengelberg & the Concertgebouw (Op.67, 1906).

Aramiarz

Dear Gareth, We will wait 2017 midyear for Kossuth Symphonie release. We have in the mind for the future the triple concerto.

For op 75, We have the score and parts, let me to revise this situation.

Gareth Vaughan

Thank you very much for this information, Aramiarz.

Gareth Vaughan

As we draw towards the middle of 2017, may I ask if there is any news yet of the release of Moor's "Kossuth" symphony? Many of us are very eager to hear this music.

Aramiarz

Dear friends, We had a very bad new, Mr Miramontes Zapata, suffered a stroke heart in february,  the good thing Is that him ís better! This situation delayed all projects... Step by step his health is recovering ;)

Alan Howe

Oh, I'm sure we're all very sorry to hear this news. Please would you convey our best wishes to him for a full recovery? His health is the most important thing, of course.