Sgambati Symphony no. 2 - a new recording

Started by rosflute, Saturday 20 August 2016, 22:02

Previous topic - Next topic

rosflute

September 13th on German radio - broadcast of the Symphony no. 2 by Giovanni Sgambati. Played by the Württembergische Philharmonie, Reutlingen, conducted by Ola Rudner. Performed using the edition which I reconstructed [from the original hand written orchestral parts], edited, published and printed. This link will take you to the page announcing the broadcast:
http://www.swr.de/swr2/programm/sendungen/musik-aus-unseren-archiven/swr2-musik-aus-unseren-archiven/-/id=1857752/did=17901210/nid=1857752/sdpgid=1304725/1ggll8i/index.html

Alan Howe

Thanks, Roz! Can anyone plan to record this, please?

Mark Thomas

I can't, I'm afraid, as I shan't be at home.

Jonathan

I'll see if I can record it - no promises though as I'm unsure how to sort out my recording software (they've changed it!)

adriano

Will try to record it, if I am back to Zurich already, but suppose this will be issued on CD.

Alan Howe

Jonathan

Internet radio has found the station, shouldn't be a problem to record!

Alan Howe

rosflute

:)
Quote from: Alan Howe on Friday 26 August 2016, 09:36
Might this be a future cpo release?
Regarding a cpo release - yes, I am told it will be released next year.
I've heard the recording now, and it is very good. The conductor, Ola Rudner, clearly has taken care to study the score and has produced an interpretation that is very different from the previous performances [which both sounded uncannily like my original virtual performance!]. The orchestra, especially the horns and trumpets, is in fine form and the SWR2 tonmeisters have done a great job in creating a warm, balanced sound. Recommended.

Alan Howe

Oh, that's really good news - thank you.

Here's a link to some info on the Swedish conductor involved:
http://www.olarudner.com/ENG/biography.html

adriano

Reading those countless magnificent and elaborate conductor's biographies, one wonders how it is possible that so many of them are around - and get occasions to perform everywhere and that there are so many concerts and opera performances around the world! Frankly, in front of all this, I feel a complete nothing, or just a pretentious amateur, who was lucky enough to do some unusual repertoire on CD - which all those professionals would have done much better...

Alan Howe

Not true, of course, Adriano. Just look at your discography - and compare it with most of your colleagues...

adriano

Well, yes, Alan, but these CDs could have been done much better by others, or if there was more money and time at disposal... One has always to make so many concessions...
Having perhaps one of my pre-recording depression... In fact I am leaving tonight for Bratislava to realise my 49th CD, and perhaps my very last one, since there are no sponsors for me anymore. It will be another volume of my Jaques-Dalcroze series (this time including the famous soprano Elena Mosuc, who is a friend of mine since her early debuts in Zurich). But before that I will also be impertinent enough to record my own Quintet for clarinet and strings: quelle scandale: it's totally lyric and emotional music!

Alan Howe

Quotebut these CDs could have been done much better by others, or if there was more money and time at disposal... One has always to make so many concessions...

It's more likely that your CDs wouldn't have been made at all if you had not done so. There are many of us 'out there' who are extremely grateful for what you have achieved in the recording studio. 

Anyway, prajem dobrý výlet! (Another CD for the wants list! - what music by Jaques-Dalcroze will you be recording?)

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteThere are many of us 'out there' who are extremely grateful for what you have achieved in the recording studio. 

Hear, hear!!