News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Overblown great music?

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 02 September 2016, 21:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Sure, Mahler was widely known by the early 1970s; my point was that the boom followed rather later - two complete cycles do not a boom make! And by now the boom has reached saturation point, to which I say: enough already!

eschiss1

Let me be the first, and last, to bring up the irrelevant point of Mann and Adorno, in this thread. Done. :D

(But thanks for reminding me that on the 40th anniversary of the death of the composer of a opera on Death in Venice, I've yet to hear it. Must...)

adriano

Yes, please do, eschiss1 :-)
Unfortunately the main part of that Venice opera had to be sung/recorded by that usually "pleurnichant" Peter Pears. And it has a terrific part for baritone in it. Although the music is very intellectual, if it's good staged, it can work :-) Still, earlier Britten operas are more enjoyable: Screw, Grimes and Budd are masterworks.

chill319

QuoteWhat 'Death in Venice' did was to popularise Mahler's music - especially the Adagietto from Symphony No.5.
Just as a point of historical interest, that moment of popularity had been coming for a while. If memory serves (not near my references) one of the first U.S. performances of a symphonic piece by Mahler -- perhaps the first such -- occurred during the 1906/07 season when Leopold Stokowski led the Cincinnati SO in a performance of the Adagietto.

eschiss1

If by more enjoyable you mean "less modern" and vice v,  no worries, I know that going in.

exlight

Hey, I was searching for some resources, lay-targeted about Satie, as I used to listen to him in my teens a lot (yeah, romanticized age) abut also got interested somehow in his musique d'ameublement idea, from which allegedly ambient stemmed (how..? really?). And then I heard that some music teacher of my gfs told them once that it's a "music for ladybugs" thus dissing it. And I'm looking for info on why.

eschiss1

This may be the wrong forum for discussing Satie because of a change in guidelines (quite unclear from the name of the group "Unsung Composers" in and of itself, I'm afraid- sorry!) of more recent date - but individual members should I think be willing to take that interesting discussion of a thought-provoking and influential French 20th-century composer (and fellow Eric- well, Erik... :D ) into one-on-one discussion, I hope.