News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Unsung concerts 2017

Started by eschiss1, Friday 02 December 2016, 03:11

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Interesting things in the next year or so.
The Raff Gesellschaft website main page mentions a few right there (the 9th symphony, the cello concerto, etc.)
Erno Dohnanyi's first (mature) symphony (D minor, Op.9) is getting a (still rare) performance, in Seville, on April 27. (Is this the doing of anyone here? :) )
Labor's clarinet trio is joining Dohnanyi's late sextet in a concert in May in Munich.
Franz Schmidt's 4th symphony (1933 but less "modern" than Mahler's 7th, so one hopes its suitability for this board needs no defense) is being performed on May 16 in Hagen, Germany.
Robert Fuchs' 3rd string serenade gets a look-in in Graz @ a concert on May 22. (Just to mention. :) )
Charles Stanford's 5th Irish Rhapsody will feature in this concert on 28 February (might be broadcast on Radio 3?)  and his Song to the Soul will be performed in Leeds by the RLPO on March 25.

(Edit: I see already from this thread that Magnard's 4th symphony is scheduled to be performed in Freiburg. Good news :) Even better, that this will be part of a Naxos recording series- hopefully, of course, a competitive one; they seem to be hard works to get quite right, but I'm glad when people try and do convincing jobs. I wonder if large-scale music of his has been performed in the eastern US- maybe by the Jupiter players or Botstein's group... )

Speaking of Botstein and the American Symphony, his page only lists the two remaining concerts of the season, one a Czech concert with works by Novák (In the Tatras), Martinů (3rd symphony), Suk (Fantastic Scherzo), Schulhoff (5th symphony) (February 10); the concluding concert is Elgar's Apostles.)

eschiss1

Continuing from the preceding slightly over-edited post, though, the Jupiter Symphony Chamber Players in New Yak City* is in the middle, not the end, of their season, and as usual has a promising list of works, from Bruch's early trio (Dec.5), Dohnanyi's sextet (what, again with the C major sextet??? No, the _other_ one, the early one in B-flat), Dora Pejacevic's C major piano trio (January 10), Alessandro Longo's Piano Quintet in E major  (March 27), Pfitzner's sextet in G minor of 1945 (April 17), Carl Graedener's string trio Op.48 and Walter Rabl's piano quartet (May 1) --- etc., etc.

*I was born there (in Queens, to be picky), I still have a hint of the accent, though I managed to sell off most of the yaks.

(As to Magnard mentioned in the last post I see his 4th symphony is also being performed- not just in Freiburg- but also in Edmonton (Alberta, Canada) (at the Winspear Centre) January 28 2017.)

chill319

If Schmidt's Symphony 4 is relevant here, perhaps Langgaard's 1916/20 Symphony 4 ("Fall of the Leaf") would be as well. The Edmundton SO -- with perhaps the most adventurous programming I've seen in a while -- will be performing it under Alexander Prior May 12, 2017.

eschiss1

re Dohnanyi again by the way, his first violin concerto is getting performed a few times this coming year too (for 140th birthday maybe??) - see http://kristofbarati.com/concerts/ e.g. (in Hungary on January 20, Liège on February 17.) Maier-Röntgen's concerto is getting another hearing in Helsingborg on April 2nd.

Medtner's piano concerto no.2 will be performed live by Nikolai Demidenko (I know he's recorded it, I have the recording) with the Lahti Symphony Orchestra (conducted by Dima Slobodeniouk, @ the Sibelius Symphony Hall, Feb. 23. The preceding concert there-- the week before - has Vieuxtemps' first cello concerto played by Jonathan Roozeman (Osmo Vänskä conducting)). (Yes, there's a new cpo recording of the Vieuxtemps concertos, no, he's not the soloist.)

eschiss1

Hrm, just noticed this. Neeme Järvi will be conducting Stenhammar's first symphony (with Sibelius' 2nd conducted by Paavo Järvi?), Estonian National Symphony, June 7 2017 at the Estonia Concert Hall... admittedly even the Stenhammar is better known than it once was, of course, with several performances of his orchestral works each of the last few years I think, but still.

(Piers Lane will be performing "Moszkowski's Piano Concerto No.1" with the Queensland Symphony on October 14th but it's unclear whether this is the actual first concerto or the work that should now be called the 2nd concerto- as it always has been _anyway_, and now one knows why! It seems it may be the latter- not sure.)

The Concertgebouw has some interesting concerts.

BBC Phil is playing Gade's 1st symphony (John Storgards) tomorrow 2/19, which has probably been mentioned somewhere. (hrm, I see that other upcomings this month include Medtner 2; and Dohnanyi concerto 1 was yesterday...)

BBC Scottish SO is doing two works by Langgaard (symphony 4 and the UK premiere of the prelude to his opera Antikrist) on March 19th (Richard Farnes), and Korngold's symphony before that on March 16th (John Wilson).

scottevan

Add to all that the Bard Music Festival in mid August; this year the star is Chopin. Always plenty of Unsungs in the concert programs, though I haven't seen details yet. Sure to be some Moniuszko, for instance. And their opera production this year will be Dvorak's "Dimitrij."

semloh

No obvious sign of any UCs in major Australian concerts for 2017, as far as I can tell.  We are blest by high quality domestic and international performers, but the repertoire is fairly standard albeit often innovatively packaged.

eschiss1

Not entirely true. Philippe Gaubert's Greek Divertimento and his Nocturne & Allegro scherzando, Chaminade's flute concertino, and a work by the Dopplers are played @  http://www.australianflutefestival.com/recitals.html.

And see https://www.eventfinda.com.au/2017/a-taste-of-omega-the-voice/sydney for a March performance in Sydney of Spohr's Op.103 songs. Even Spohr's still unsung...

MartinH

I'm thrilled to death that after waiting all these years, one of my most beloved unsung works - Glazunov's 4th - will be performed live by the excellent Tucson Symphony Orchestra in October. Later, they're giving Tchaikovsky's 3rd - another favorite, and not all that often encountered either.

semloh

Ah, well spotted Eric. Yes, the odd chamber work will also pop up in the programmes for the festivals later in the year - not least our own wonderful Townsville Chamber Music Festival! If anyone wants a holiday in the Australian tropics, book now!  ;D

mikehopf

No obvious sign of any UCs in major Australian concerts for 2017, as far as I can tell.  We are blest by high quality domestic and international performers, but the repertoire is fairly standard albeit often innovatively packaged.

Time to move down to Melbourne, Semloh. In the next few months alone we have performances of these rare operas:
Respighi: Sleeping Beauty
Toch: The Princess and the Pea
Saint Saens: La Princesse Jaune
Szymanowski: King Roger

and chamber works by Emil Hartmann; Boughton; Rebecca Clarke et al.

scottevan

Rare-opera wise, I forgot to mention that Glimmerglass Opera (Cooperstown, NY) will perform Donizetti's "The Siege of Calais" this summer -- in Italian, I believe.

ewk

Hi all,

Korngold is not exactly unsung anymore nowadays, but apart from the violin concerto (at least 1X per week somewhere on the planet) and the Tote Stadt, little can be heard live on stage.

All the more nice to see that some of his lesser-known works are going to be performed this year:

Sinfonietta
Dirigent: Lorenzo Viotti
Orchester: Philharmonisches Staatsorchester Hamburg
26.&27. März 2017 | Hamburg (Deutschland), Elbphilharmonie, Großer Saal — 20:00

Theme and Variations
Dirigent: Dirk Brossé; Geert Soenen
Orchester: Ghent Conservatory Orchestra
23. März 2017 | Gent (Belgien), MIRY Concertzaal

Straussiana
Dirigent: Dirk Brossé; Geert Soenen
Orchester: Ghent Conservatory Orchestra
23. März 2017 | Gent (Belgien), MIRY Concertzaal

The Sinfonische Serenade is going to be performed by the Georgisches Kammerorchester Ingolstadt and the Württembergische Kammerphilharmonie Heilbronn soon

Das Wunder der Heliane gets a concert performance in Freiburg (22&25 July) and a (apparently stage!) Performance in Berlin in March/April 2018 at the Deutsche Oper Berlin under the Baton of Marc Albrecht.

Der Ring des Polykrates is going to be staged in Heidelberg (April through July) and Dallas/TX.

Lots of Korngold!

PS: is anyone going to attend the Magnard 4th Symphony concert in Freiburg (coupled with Goldmark Sakuntala Ouverture)? I'll be there.

adriano

Re Magnard: Don't forget the splendid EMI recordings made in 1983-1990 by Michel Plasson! He also recorded Magnard's opera "Guercoeur" with a super cast. And there is a great recording of his complete chamber music on Timpany, with a bonus CD containing a very informative interview with the late Harry Halbreich.

edurban

Looking farther ahead, Rochester (New York) Philharmonic will feature Ethyl Smyth's Concerto for horn, violin and orchestra on its June 3, 2018 concerto.