Romantic Violin Concerto, Vol. 21 - Bruch

Started by FBerwald, Wednesday 07 December 2016, 06:20

Previous topic - Next topic

FBerwald

Hyperion has announced its (not the most promising) release in Jan. 2017 - the Romantic Violin Concerto series

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA68055

Romantic Violin Concerto, Vol. 21 - Bruch

Violin Concerto No. 2 in D minor, Op. 44
Konzertstück in F-sharp minor, Op. 84
In memoriam in C-sharp minor, Op. 65
Adagio appassionato in F minor, Op. 57

Jack Liebeck (violin), BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, Martyn Brabbins

Mark Thomas

Rumour has it that Hyperion are having to play safer because of the continuing fall off in physical CD sales. I don't know if there's any truth in it, but this release certainly would be consistent with that. No doubt they'll be worthy performances, but hardly ground-breaking...

Gareth Vaughan

Curiously, according to Hyperion, the buying public are much more adventurous when it comes to PIANO concertos than concertos for any other instrument. The RPC series consistently sells well, it seems. I don't know why this should be, given the intrinsically melodic nature of most violin and cello concertos - but there we are.

TerraEpon

I imagine people there are a lot of people, that specific love piano music and maybe even more are lovers of specific artists more than the general classical music loving buyers. Just a very wild, observational guess though.

Incidentally while it's obviously not the most unsung certainly none of these pieces are over-recorded either.

Alan Howe

Another RVC yawn from Hyperion, I'm afraid. Where's the Lassen VC got to, I wonder?

violinconcerto

I am afraid I have to work harder on promoting little known violin concertos. The Hyperion release of the Bruch works is just a shame!  >:(

eschiss1

... Ferdinand Hiller's violin and orchestra works?

mikehopf

Alan Howe

I mentioned the Lassen VC because it is a known quantity, has been performed recently in the Czech Republic (see YouTube) and Hyperion know about it. It's also a top-class, melodically rich work...

Mark Thomas

Yes, Lassen's is up amongst the very best unsung VCs, but that doesn't seem to be the criterion that Hyperion are using when deciding on content for the RVC series. More's the pity.

eschiss1

Well, based on Gernsheim, Mann, and a number of other CDs, maybe it's cpo (, Sterling, Naxos, Chandos,...) we should be looking to for some of the interesting unsung concerto repertoire after all while monitoring Hyperion for piano concerto sightings...

(Looks like Chandos.net now distributes cpo in Britain and handles their mp3 downloads etc., now I look at that page, to answer another question from ... hrm.)

Alan Howe

alberto

IMHO Leone Sinigagla's Violin Concerto would be worthy of a recording (there is a performance on YT)

Alan Howe

Agreed. But this thread is fast becoming a wish-list (partly my fault, it's true), so if anyone would care to start another one dedicated to suggestions (plus reasons!!)...

jackliebling

How about you listen to the recording before yawning and writing it off?

Jack L