Czerny Piano Concertos from Hyperion

Started by Rob H, Thursday 19 January 2017, 14:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

This will be RPC Vol.71. Artists: the indefatigable Howard Shelley with the Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra. Delicious!

Gareth Vaughan

semloh

Do we know exactly which piano concertos? I assume the A minor, but then will it be coupled with the 4-hands, Op.153? If so, I wonder who will supply the other hands. They are bright and inventive works, and not exactly neglected as far as recordings go but they will no doubt be superlative performances.

Gareth Vaughan

Since you can find a sample from the Op. 28 concerto in F at the link supplied we know that is at least one of them. How nice if the C major Op. 78 were another.

pianoconcerto

The 2015 annual report of the Tasmanian SO identifies the works recorded: https://www.tso.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/TSO-2015-Annual-Report.pdf
Concerto in F, Op. 28
Concerto in a, Op. 214
Rondo Brillante in B-flat [presumably Op. 233]

Sounds like a great CD!

FBerwald

How many Solo Piano concertos did Czerny write anyways?

Gareth Vaughan

Quite a few, but I read somewhere that most of them are lost. I can find only 3 - the two recorded here and the C major, Op. 78, I mentioned above which is sometimes described as a Konzertstuck. It is scored for a small orchestra of strings (or string quartet) + flute and 2 horns. There is, I believe, a set of parts in the British Library.

eschiss1

If RISM is any indication, the big collections of manuscripts by Czerny they list aren't instrumental music, btw, but vocal/choral works (eg Graduals, about 120 or so listed from various libraries)... a _few_ of which have been recorded... (and of course after that they -next- list, in sorting order, quite a few various assorted-piano-works...) Too bad about the concertante works. Glad more than that of his symphonies and string quartets seem to have survived at least (iirc), hopefully a few more will be recorded...

semloh

Thanks for identifying which concertos will be on the disc. I am sure it will be a delight.

FBerwald

On the Hyperion website now....

The Romantic Piano Concerto - Vol. 71

Piano Concerto in F Major, Op. 28
Piano Concerto in A minor, Op. 214
Rondo brillant in B-flat Major, Op. 233

Howard Shelley (piano / conductor), Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra

.... Recorded -  May 2015! wonder how many like same in pipeline; seems the Bruch RVC - 21 was recorded in December 2014..

adriano

Thanks for the good news; suppose it will be a competitor to the Naxos version of Op. 214.

Sharkkb8

For those of the download persuasion, it is now listed as a pre-order, in the iTunes Store.  I am unable to find a link connecting the net to the entry in the iTunes store, but those who have access to iTunes (USA anyway) will find it by doing a search for "czerny concerto shelley".  They show it with a 28 April release date.

Gregory

kolaboy

I'd always wondered why - in a novelty hungry world - none of those monster pieces for multiple pianos and orchestra (that I've read of in various biographies) had ever been tackled by any enterprising pianists. Hope they eventually turn up in some musty closet, somewhere...

Herbert Pauls

Very good news indeed. I hope he records every Czerny concerto that can be found!