Czerny Piano Concertos from Hyperion

Started by Rob H, Thursday 19 January 2017, 14:48

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

When I heard the opening measures of the rondo finale of the F Major concerto, I said to myself "I've heard this somewhere before".  Then I listened to the opening of the 1st movement, and knew for sure that I had.  I suggest you give a listen to Mauro Giuliani's 3rd Guitar Concerto and compare the composition dates, because one of those 2 concertos is an arrangement of the other (I'd be willing to bet Giuliani cribbed from Czerny, rather than vice-versa).

adriano

Just purchased this Hyperion item - very beautiful!
Incidentally, Hyperion does, apparently, still not take care about their crushed booklets. As in the case of the Moszkowski CD, it seems that the whole edition of the Czerny booklets results having such (more or less slight) crushes in the center, caused by incorrectly adjusted vacuums of their "picking up and placing booklet" devices. I had some correspondence with them on this matter in the past, but it looks as they just dont's care. I am insisting on this the because the booklets of a Guild CD of mine came up with this same problem - so it must be caused at the same printing plant. Guild at least admitted that they had to be confronted with this problem, but could not do anything to solve it (why not changing the printing company?); Hyperion came up with different - and unrealistic -explanations.

FBerwald

According to this upcoming release on Naxos https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.573688 The First official Piano Concerto is Piano Concerto in D minor (1811–12) "...and not to be confused with the Piano Concerto in A minor, Op. 214, his first published, or the Concerto in F major, Op. 28 – which is actually an arrangement of Hummel's instrumentation of Giuliani's Guitar Concerto No. 3!"

eschiss1

According to Hyperion's notes to their recording, the evidence is not so certain that it's an arrangement of the Giuliani rather than the other way around (or a cooperative-competitive work - that is, they worked on it together but wrote different accompaniments, one for guitar, one for piano, and saw whose worked better?)

FBerwald

You might be right about that; I was pointing to the fact that there now seems to be a Piano Concerto [No. 1] that we didn't know of.. atleast I have never came across a reference in any discussions here or online.

eschiss1

And from around the time he wrote his early D major symphony too- neat.

eschiss1

Well, if you want to hear the Czerny D minor piano concerto, Naxos 8.573688 looks kind of promising. (Or rather, future tense, since it's not available just quite yet as of October 2017. Next month...)

pianoconcerto

Quote from: eschiss1 on Sunday 08 October 2017, 02:38
Well, if you want to hear the Czerny D minor piano concerto, Naxos 8.573688 looks kind of promising. (Or rather, future tense, since it's not available just quite yet as of October 2017. Next month...)

Yes, but a ten-minute excerpt of the first movement of Czerny's D minor Concerto is already online at:
https://vimeo.com/233618560

Alan Howe